• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Front speakers upgrade

I'm looking to upgrade my front speakers on my EP3, I'm just looking around at the moment but I happened to see a few manufacturers selling speakers similar to these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Civ...887777?hash=item51c53443e1:g:RVAAAOSwa81XSGwu as in one speaker as the low frequency/base and the other as high frequency/tweet.

Does anyone have a setup like this? I would've thought it would sound a bit off center because unlike low frequency sounds you can souce high pitched/normal sounds. I know some stereo systems allows you to configure left/right speakers but then you'd be changing the way they work together, etc...

Surely these speakers are the easiest way to go, 4 screws on each side and here you go. Will probably sound like your feet are singing :lol:

I swapped my speakers recently but went with separate tweeters, mounted in the original tweeter mounts. Pretty straight forward, you just have to find a place for the crossovers.
I went for this system: http://www.focal.com/de/universal/374-iss-130.html
Not anything near high end at all but with integrated crossovers, so it's really not much more work to do compared with your solution above, but should sound considerably better.

Those look really nice speakers. I don't really know that much about this, I was just looking for a decent set of speakers to replace the standards really as I don't think they sound great, I'm unsure about 'crossovers' an all that lol.

I just thought those Sony ones I posted were unusual, I've never seen two being used independently so to speak. Unless you buy x2 sets and have your two base speakers in the back or something.

Well the Sony won't sound significantly better than the OEM ones :lol:
Even if you're not too familiar with speakers and stuff, the ones I bought have a built-in crossover, really easy to install.

Audison Voce K6 are very, very good. However you'll need an amp, a speaker upgrade on its own won't give you the best results.

True, a good set of 165s wired to an amp is the way to go for decent results, no doubt about that.
But probably won't fit without cutting the doors, which made me sell my set of Focal 165 KR. Installing 130s instead is a job for half an hour or so.

I got the K6's in an S2000 so should be a doddle in an EP3. Always good to have good spacers, but nothing will be a match compared to custom made ones.

I'm going to have to do something in the beemer. Standard kit is woeful.

I got the K6's in an S2000 so should be a doddle in an EP3. Always good to have good spacers, but nothing will be a match compared to custom made ones.
The K6 seem to have a slightly smaller basket as the Focal, also the hole in the EP3's doors are shaped quite weird. Tried to fit them with CNC-machined spacers, but no chance to go without cutting.
I had them fitted in the EK without any problems, maybe the car really has strange doors

Didn't get the HK setup then?
If I'd have been speccing the car from new I would have done, but alas no.

That's the price to pay though for not losing £16k from list price in 8 months. :shock:

Easily enough to rectify though so I've read.

Be careful with your speaker choice if you have a stock Honda headunit.

It seems that Honda have some form of speaker check and if the speakers are unknown then some form of degredation occurs. The advice is to get the Honda bassworks speakers.

I can provide a link to the original article if Loxy approves.

No idea what he's on about but I have no idea how a head unit can determine if there's Honda speakers connected by using simple audio cable. Surely the only thing it can detect is impedance?

I think he's chatting sh!t. A speaker is a speaker, unless it has a circuit board in and a control wire, the head unit has no way of know what is connected. The reason the new speakers sound crap is that they're running off a tiny amplifier in the head unit that probably won't have enough current to move the driver properly.

My own setup is hertz I went for their hi-energy stuff, it's top end sound for not top end cost but you'll notice the quality in every peice. The sub in boots a nailed on must, 10" hi energy or stump up the xtra n go for jl audios 8" game changer w7. good luck with it. Btw I reckon that's bs about the Honda speakers anyway, I'm dropping my setup into an fn2 gt in next 6 weeks n have the best people in sheff taking care of it n they mentioned nothing of this...they'd know too. I just need to buy a kit coz I'm strapping the amp n sub n door speakers to the standard head unit too. Keeping the sat navigation built in on it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back