• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Fuel for FK2

Why is my Honda dealer insistant that I use premium unleaded in my FK 2. The owners manual indicates that fuel with an octane of 95 or higher should be used. My local Asda garage sells 'ordinary' unleaded with octane 95. Can I just use this or am I being dumb. :confused:
Whats so special about premium fuel, except the price.

Keeps fuel system cleaner. Better combustion. Less detonation. More powah.

Of course 95 is fine. Think of it as the potency differences in alcohol. The higher you go, the clearer and more pure it is.

It will say minimum 95 RON in the book but recommended will be 97+.

I've tried Shell Power Nitro+ and Tesco Momentum in mine. It runs better and gets better mpg on the Momentum stuff, so I've been using that.

Plus unless your dealer owns shared in BP, Shell or Tesco you're not putting any money in his pockets by using a premium fuel.

I use 97+ on all performance vechicles ive owned, either V power but I prefer tesco 99ron had no issues at all.
when I owned my 350z if ran lower octane fuel it would run ruff as..

You will also find you will get a few more miles out of the tank too. More octane = less work for the engine in normal driving.

If you do the maths the higher octane is the cheapest mile for mile.

You will also find you will get a few more miles out of the tank too. More octane = less work for the engine in normal driving.

If you do the maths the higher octane is the cheapest mile for mile.

That all depends on the price difference between the 2. The difference here in the Netherlands between 95 or 97/98 is way to high to be cheaper. The miles you get extra with a higher octane are so slim, it doesn't cover the price difference here.

I use 95 when it's not possible to get a higher octane, but normally always run 98. I can't tell the difference though.

So it's off to Tesco for fuel. Thanks for all the good info. I probably appear a bit dim in some of the issues I ask or will ask about. Been brought up with performance cars with my 3 brothers and I own a PN2 and a PK2, but my knowledge base is nil to good depending on the area. The subject of fuel as you've discovered is at nil.
Annie.

I'm using Texaco 97 octane. Mainly because texaco is the closest. If i had shell it would get V power. Getting 34mpg with a light foot and about 26-28 when I'm a little heavier.

IMAG3970.jpg

HTH

Dropped some paper work in at Honda dealers to day and talking to the one of there service engineer there have decided to use Tesco momentum 99 octane. He also said the full power of the engine isn't available until after 1K to 1.3K miles as the ecu will help protect the engine until it loosens up a little. Know idea if this is true.

I dont know how true but ive been told momentum 99 fuel as with all supermarket fuel is not very clean burning and will start to coke up the engine.

I use shell v-power

I dont know how true but ive been told momentum 99 fuel as with all supermarket fuel is not very clean burning and will start to coke up the engine.

I use shell v-power

You are more likely to get more power using Tesco Momentum Vs Shell V-Power as it has a higher Ethanol content, downside to this is that it will use more of it because of the additional Oxygen present in combustion.

I use shell v-power

That's probably what She'll want you to think. :lol:

Walkden on here works in the fuel supply industry. He's posted on the subject a few times I think.

You are more likely to get more power using Tesco Momentum Vs Shell V-Power as it has a higher Ethanol content, downside to this is that it will use more of it because of the additional Oxygen present in combustion.

I've read that too. I get 3-4 mpg better on the on board reading with Momentum, 2-3 when calculated.

I use shell v-power
The honda dealer dis recommend eather the momentum 99 or the v-power.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back