• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fuel quality

Friendy said:
It will also depend if you have had your car modded with a mapable ece.

Not strictly true mate.
Depends if you have an active knock sensor I think :wink:

Once I scan the article in you'll see

Okay will wait for the article, I was going to put octane booster in mine then have it rolling road tuned, but was advised I would have to run 100 octane all the time, otherwise it would knock.

Re: Supermarkets don't sell higher octane fuels

Neily03 said:
Composite Guru said:
bburnrover said:
I went to Tesco for some fuel and could not find any higher octane stuff as per Shell and BP provide.I was informed that if I use ordinary unleaded it would burn my pistons out so I came out of the queue and drove 2 miles to a BP garage. :roll:

Thats rubbish mate whoever told you that, all CTRs are tuned to run on normal unleaded (even cheap old tesco stuff). Just putting higher octane fuel in will make it a little more perky.

He drives a ATR though :wink: ...... I'm assuming they are reccomended for 97/98Ron but i don't think using 95Ron in an emergency would cause any damage.... i think....

The prefacelift ATR doesn't run on anything less than 98 Ron :shock: the posr facelift could run 95 Ron aswell. I've a pre and 95 sounds like diesel :shock: not nice at all so I only ever use optimax.

Friendy said:
Okay will wait for the article, I was going to put octane booster in mine then have it rolling road tuned, but was advised I would have to run 100 octane all the time, otherwise it would knock.

I think you can reset your ECU when changing from normal to fuel with octane booster and visa versa to get the best, unless you've big mods.

Little Legs said:
Friendy said:

I think you can reset your ECU when changing from normal to fuel with octane booster and visa versa to get the best, unless you've big mods.
Yep the odd big mod :twisted:

Little Legs said:
8) nice, will you need to get it re-mapped when switching to and from 100?

You would need two seperate maps to be on the safe side yes, esp with a car like Friendy's :twisted:

Fuel Comparisons

So the answer is use B.P. Ultimate it gives us more torque and fizzles out at the top end which does not matter-who goes over 130 mph anyhow?

I have been using Tesco 95 and have not noticed any difference at all since you all stated it did not matter which fuel we used.

regards John

Re: Fuel Comparisons

bburnrover said:
So the answer is use B.P. Ultimate it gives us more torque and fizzles out at the top end which does not matter-who goes over 130 mph anyhow?

I have been using Tesco 95 and have not noticed any difference at all since you all stated it did not matter which fuel we used.

regards John

mine runs like a diesel pug on 95 - it's splash and dash emergency use only!

Intresteing read that article spacemonkey, still not 100% clear on the best one though, as mentioned in the article they say if you find one that makes the car 'friskier' then use it but by far Shell Optimax has the best cleaning agents for looking after the engine.

I might try another tank of Tesco 99 and see what happens, if the car likes it then i'll consider using it more often but keep using Optimax every few fill ups.

monkey boy kev said:
Intresteing read that article spacemonkey, still not 100% clear on the best one though, as mentioned in the article they say if you find one that makes the car 'friskier' then use it but by far Shell Optimax has the best cleaning agents for looking after the engine.

I might try another tank of Tesco 99 and see what happens, if the car likes it then i'll consider using it more often but keep using Optimax every few fill ups.

I know what you mean about it not being 100% clear on the outright best fuel. But my pennies will still be going to Shell over BP everytime.

I think there will be a follow up article in the future. I'll keep my eyes peeled & let ya know when it is out.

SpaceMonkey said:
monkey boy kev said:

I know what you mean about it not being 100% clear on the outright best fuel. But my pennies will still be going to Shell over BP everytime.

I think there will be a follow up article in the future. I'll keep my eyes peeled & let ya know when it is out.

Nice one, would apprceiate a read of it if you come across one.

monkey boy kev said:
Nice one, would apprceiate a read of it if you come across one.

No worries Kev :wink:

Will scan it in & add it to the other thread when I have something for you

I stopped using Optimax about 12 months ago when prices started getting silly. Since then it been run on standard 95ron from shell and tesco and from what i could tell it wasn't any different and ran perfectly. My last two tanks have been Optimax to give the engine a bit of a clean and OMG :shock: its like it runs so smooth on optimax, its totally transformed the engine. I may stick with it for the near future! 8)

Neily03 said:
I stopped using Optimax about 12 months ago when prices started getting silly. Since then it been run on standard 95ron from shell and tesco and from what i could tell it wasn't any different and ran perfectly. My last two tanks have been Optimax to give the engine a bit of a clean and OMG :shock: its like it runs so smooth on optimax, its totally transformed the engine. I may stick with it for the near future! 8)

It does make a difference Neil :wink:

When people say "It's too expensive!" if you put 45 litres in the tank & it's a 8 pence premium over normal 95 ron juice, then it's only costing £3.60 extra a tank :wink:

Is anyone driving a CTR that hard up for £3.60???

You get what you pay for I say.

In the March Issue of Banzai they do a bhp and torque test using:

Tesco 99Ron
Optimax 98Ron
BP Ultimate 97Ron
Supermarket 95Ron

To cut a long story short they used a bench mounted Cosworth YB engine and took loads of precautions to ensure the only difference was the petrol.

Results:

Optimax 537bhp 434lb ft
Ultimate 530bhp 428lb ft
Tesco 99 521bhp 421lb ft
95 Ron 516bhp 417lb ft

a massive difference just by changing fuels

This will prob just confuse more people but found this and thought it might be of interest. This is taken from GreenErgys site.

Greenergy supplies 99 Octane Super Unleaded petrol on sale at selected Tesco forecourts. This performance fuel has the highest octane rating (RON) of any petrol currently on sale at UK forecourt chains and contains an enhanced additive package to help remove engine deposits and ensure smooth engine running.

So basically saying tesco 99ron also contains a cleaning package like optimax and ultimate.

Nick

Back