• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gambi's 3rd R - Champ White FN2.

C4Doc

Gamblor
So here we are, onto my 3rd Type R.

The 2nd EP3 I had didn't feel as good as the first (although that had it's faults and wasn't perfect). As many know I'd been deliberating over what to get over the last 6 months. A lot of it depended on the bonus and how much I was willing to spend. My choices were buy new (new R or the 135i) or I was weighing up the finances for an Evo or an FD2. In the end this was a semi compromise and I'm very happy with it.

Reasons for the compromise. At the end of the day the roads around here are terrible which, although I haven't driven one, ruled out the FD2 due to hearing how harsh they can be. As I work in the city this is a toy essentially but does need some practicality for things like golf weekends. I decided that it wasn't worth getting in debt for a car that is a toy (plus I didn't get the bonus I want and I'm not enjoying my job at the moment), in addition as the flat I own is shared ownership I decided to purchase the other portion so I'd own it all.

I'd been searching for a little bit and been dicked around by a Honda dealer, my local one was very helpful though, and I found this one up north (TD & MCK Cars)about 200 miles away. Immediately from speaking to the guy there he was helpful and seemed genuine & honest. Rather than make 2 trips I arranged for the AA to do one of their 200 point checks which they were very happy with. Prior to the check we had agreed everything pending the outcome. The AA guy was top notch and I had the report about 8.30 pm that night and had a call with him at about 7pm to run thought it all. The following day I think it was and the deal was finalised and the deposit paid.

The AA check raised a few small items, one was an oil & washer top up which were simple; the other was 3 new tyres. The one on there was a Toyo and was fairly new so agreed that 3 of the same would go on prior to pick up. The only other points raised are purely cosmetic, new gaitor, some curbing on 2 wheels and the lower grille on the front isn't clipped in properly due to the front having a respray for stone chips. The AA guy confirmed paint thickness and that he doesn't believe it has ever been in a accident, it has full receipts also. In addition it only had 33k on the clocks so happy days.

On Saturday I drove the 200 miles up there and it was a nice early 7am start from mine. Got there and all went nice & easy, test drive, paperwork, sorted new insurance and he sorted the tax for me whilst all this was going on. Happy days and time for the drive home. The drive back was so much easier and the car is night & day compared with the EP3. It's slightly harsher than I thought but it feels so much more solid and connected than the EP3. The cruising on the way home was easy and it seemed to eat the miles compared with the EP3. The only things I'd say about it at this stage is that it does feel big and wide compared with the EP3 and the visibility isn't great. Oh and I can feel the difference so much between the mapped EP3 and this being bog standard, still I'm very happy with it.

As with any car I have some plans but I'm not sure how far I'll go or what route I want to take. Time & funds (not only am I buying the flat but going San Fran, LA & Vegas this year hopefully) will dictate. I don't think I'll go mad but anything I'd want to do would be subtle rather than outlandish.

Finally a few pictures.

The new & old.
~
470E7770-77D2-4695-85C6-34CC4746399E.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

~
E3C0EEF4-89C6-4839-8294-F9C4C4788891.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

~
D95DF45C-9C79-4796-A9E9-70974D34FB44.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

Got a bit dirty on the way home.

~
4FD08F90-99EE-4E36-A7DD-CED5335A26BD.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

~
9E277739-7524-4123-88AF-9FBEE1A9ADA0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

Tucked up at home.

~
5E2D1897-34BD-4EEC-8952-4386BD6FA7A2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

I don't think anything will be bought until the mortgage and stuff is sorted so maybe end of May/June. First off I think it'll be an FRSU & intake and then go from there.

Looks a nice one. They are quite pleasant to drive aren't they , plenty of space too !

8492d7bfa2bacf2e61612dfb014a628e.jpg

Get hold of some Eibach springs(when you're ready), they will sort the ride out a treat.

Congrats, looks a good one! :smt023

Makes me miss my old one.

Eibach are progressive springs, so if anything should make it more compliant.

Nice one Chris, looks a lovely example. As above, Eibach springs will make it less crashy.

Nice one Chris, looks a lovely example. As above, Eibach springs will make it less crashy.

I don't find it anywhere near as crashy as the EP3, maybe because the whole car feels more together rather than a lego set.

List is mounting. Also tempted to do something more than just pads & lines etc with the front brakes, I've been thinking spoon but also wondering about the real advantages.

I wouldn't waste your time. Discs/lines/pads will be decent enough. Unless you're planning on lots of track days.

OEM will be fine, and even if you do still want more I wouldn't recommend Spoon calipers. Sure, they look the part but you are not increasing the size of the disk at all. If you really want a brake upgrade then look at a proper big brake kit. If I could do it all over again with the S2000 (similar decent stock brakes to the FN2) then I'd have gone with a Stoptech kit.

OEM will be fine, and even if you do still want more I wouldn't recommend Spoon calipers. Sure, they look the part but you are not increasing the size of the disk at all. If you really want a brake upgrade then look at a proper big brake kit. If I could do it all over again with the S2000 (similar decent stock brakes to the FN2) then I'd have gone with a Stoptech kit.

Yeah was looking at them too. Just looking at the ongoing costs for replacing discs etc was high.

Probably just do the basics with where the funds are at.

The thing is, you can spend money on lines and pads, maybe discs, then if you want more you have to look at the caliper or even a proper BBK. The Stoptech BBK includes discs, lines, calipers and the pads. Jas Evans has had the same discs for years I think doing various track days.

£500 for replacement discs and around £130 for the Axxis pads that state they aren't suitable for track. :lol:

I've got to say though I was very very impressed with the Stoptechs on my first FN2 though.

Decent standard size discs will be close to the mark anyway John, some even more so such as various 2 piece items which are available.

Oh I know, overkill for 95% of the time I had them on the car.

Cheaper option would be some DC5, 2 piece S2k discs and some spacers.

The Pagid discs, DS2500s (or newer equivalent e.g. Project Mu for Chris), braided lines and some RBF600 really sharpened up my CW.

Back