• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gave her a scrub up...

As the missus jetted off to Newcastle today for work and I had the day off, I decided to give the motor a thourough going over. I decided to give the engine bay a well needed clean up. Spoke to Stu who recomended tyre foam for the job, but my local handy garage wasn't that handy and didn't have any in stock. Got some Gunk instead as Gunn has used it before and his results where quite impressive. Anyways, got back to my mums and prepared to clean. As I had been scooting about getting stuff the engine had heated up a fair bit so had to wait for it to cool down. I decided to clean the interior in the meanwhile.

DSC01169.jpg

You'll have to excuse the cheap mats, but I'm f*cked if I'm paying £100 for some JDM ones.

Then I went at the engine bay with all guns blazing. I was going to get some before shots, but I haven't used my camera in so long that the battery was completely dead and need a good 3-4 hours charging. I'm sure you are all aware what grease and muck looks like though. I took the spark plug and inlet covers off and gave them a good scrub. I then covered all elctrical plugs with cling film and Gunked the lot. Left it for a couple of minutes and sprayed using the mist setting on my hose gun. I then wiped over all the black bits with some Miguiars trim detailer. Now if I can get results like this, anyone can!

DSC01162.jpg

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

The Gunk worked wonders and I would recomend it to anyone. If anyone cant remember, this is what the engine bay of a standard CTR looks like!

As you can tell from the above picture the weather decided to take a turn for the worse and it started spitting just as I finished the bay. That meant tea break and wait for it to stop before cleaning and waxing the car.

Then went to see my mates new Fiesta ST and took some shots in an emptyish car park.

DSC01173.jpg

DSC01176.jpg

DSC01170.jpg

DSC01172.jpg

Incedently, he took me for a spin in the ST and it was bloody pokey. It could have done with a sixth gear, but apart from that it's a lovely motor.

Oh and I thought I'd show you my keyring as I think it is rather cool.

DSC01180.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Found them on Egay. They're from japan and weren't cheap. I don't care though as I got them as a christmas present!

Engine bay looks like new, will have to try that gunk out myself I think.

Nice m8, good work on the engine!

Tell me, did the manifold need much agitation to remove all the black s*** that gathers over time?

Tell me, did the manifold need much agitation to remove all the black s*** that gathers over time?

Thats what I was thinking, I think mine is too skanked up to recover now :(

Looks ace Tony. I see you have the Osrams like me too :)
They are good, but certain angles they are just as orange as the OEM items :(

Nice m8, good work on the engine!

Not really any agitation at all. When you spray the GUNK on the really greasey bits it goes a bit mental and sort of eats away at the grease. I used an old toothbrush to get in the tight nooks and crannies, but apart from that it was a piece of p1ss!

The only thing I found was that when you sprayed the GUNK away, it did pool a bit where the manifold meets the block, but some twisted up bog roll soaked up the excess.

Thats what I was thinking, I think mine is too skanked up to recover now :(

Looks ace Tony. I see you have the Osrams like me too :)
They are good, but certain angles they are just as orange as the OEM items :(
Give it a try with the old engine bay. I've still got about half a can of GUNK left, so you can have it at the meet if you want? As for the bulbs, a bit p1ssed that they are orange @ certain angles, but I do prefer them (like the firey colour when they flash too). They where a real bitch to fit mind, as I didn't attack them from the arch like I later discovered you could. More research next time!

Back