• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gear changes

I've had my type R for about two months now and i need some advice. To get the most efficiency and speediest acceleration without breaking anything, do you guys take first gear to vtec or not? I'm split on this one, because I have a mate also with a type R and he VTECs his car in EVERY gear. Is this safe for the first gear and the throttle body?

Please do not attempt to reach VTEC whilst in neutral/stationary.

It won't happen.

Please do not attempt to reach VTEC whilst in neutral/stationary.

It won't happen.

And let her warm up before attempting VTEC. giving her beans as your leaving work/carpark/friends makes you look silly and may damage the car as it's not up to working pressures.

A VTEC engine is made for thrashing. Just make sure your oil level is always topped up (don't overfill) and as Evl has said, warm the engine up before using VTEC.

Geoff.

Why would it be bad for the throttle body?

I can semi understand 1st gear worries (ish maybe, not really) but you're going to need well over stock power, drag radials and a prepped surface to even come close to breaking 1st gear.

Back