• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gear changing issues

Car: 2007 fn2 type r
Done approx 600 miles on a cclutch stage 2 and quaiffe lsd. Had the expected running in issues with the clutch and it's all settled now.
Now I'm experiencing gear changing problems. When the engine is cold the problem isn't there. However once a few miles have been clocked up all the gears become hard to select. 1st being the worst. Have to double clutch at times or engage 2nd then 1st. It's almost like when the clutch pedal is pressed, it's not releasing fully.
When tdi north did the work they said the clutch biting point has been set low as to take away pedal travel. They said this can be adjusted via the pedal box. So I'm going to let it out a half inch to see if that helps engage the clutch fully. Also going to check gearbox oil is ok.
Other than that I'm out of ideas. The clutch isn't slipping so no issue there. Possible pressure plate failing? Or could it be that the gearbox is on its way out?

Check the clutch fluid is fine and fresh. Then do the adjustment as you suggest.

I did have a clutch fail on me after a few hundred miles. The pressure plate warped and was dragging on the friction disc causing all manner of selection issues, quite similarly to yourself particularly when warmed up.

What made you go for a stage 2 clutch, is it boosted?

Check the clutch fluid is fine and fresh. Then do the adjustment as you suggest.

I did have a clutch fail on me after a few hundred miles. The pressure plate warped and was dragging on the friction disc causing all manner of selection issues, quite similarly to yourself particularly when warmed up.

What made you go for a stage 2 clutch, is it boosted?

Went with the advice of tdi north as a supercharger is going on next year. Wish I'd stayed OEM. Nothing but problems with the so called uprated clutch. I bet even the standard clutch could cope with the extra torque. Not going mad, aiming for 310bhp and a 40-50% increase in torque.
Clutch fluid only added in February

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be lucky and it's just the pedal adjustment not allowing the clutch to fully disengage.

You might be lucky and it's just the pedal adjustment not allowing the clutch to fully disengage.

Cheers for the reply John.
From what people are saying on other forums it looks like it's 50/50. Like you say let's hope I'm one of the lucky ones.
As a matter of interest you wouldn't happen to know what kind of a dint a recon gearbox puts in the wallet do you?

Grinspeed are the people I'd speak to for a recon box. Parts are under £300 for carbon synchros IIRC then plus labour, but it depends if it is a selector fork etc.

Drop them an email or ring. https://grinspeed.co.uk/contact/

Back