• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

gear pop feeling from 1st to 2nd

Hey guys, sorry about the old thread revival.

I have also been experiencing the 1st to 2nd gear pop out. As the OP says it feels like the gear stick has disconnected from something when you apply a little pressure moving from 1st to 2nd. All resistance is gone. My journey to and from work is only 15 minutes and seems to happen in the morning and afternoon. I'd say it occurs once every 4 or 5 1st to 2nd gear changes.

Occasionally 2nd gear also grinds. My box oil has recently been changed from MTF3 to Amsoil, the gear change feels much better but the pop out is still present. What could be the cause of this problem, I really hope its not synchro related.

Thanks

Bump.

I changed the clutch, slave cylinder, new MTF, polybush engine mounts but still get the problem. Anyone know any fixes for this? Thanks

If you've changed everything else you'll have to start looking in the box.

I only ever get this issue if I'm too eager on the gear changes. Pulling on the gearstick before fully depressing the clutch normally from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th as you're pulling down on the stick. Make sure you're fully off the throttle and clutch fully depressed and see if it happens then.
I wouldn't worry much anyway unless it's popping out of gear when unintended.

Sometimes I purposely have the clutch fully down and off throttle for roughly a full second before I even attempt to pull the stick down. It doesn't seem to help.

I'd say it happens 30% of the time and only occurs in 1st gear. Feels like the stick is unwilling to come out of gear, then you get the horrible pop sensation. I bought a vacuum bleed recently so will give the clutch a good bleed.

I would guess it's a problem within the gearbox. I had a problem with 1st/2nd gear popping out when moving off. I had a feeling it was my gearbox. I swapped out my gearbox for a box from a DC5 because I wanted an upgrade anyway and I opened up the old one to find the synchros were on their way out

Hi, was that popping out on its own or when you applied pressure to the gearstick?

I did come across this thread while doing a google search. It mentions a CDV.

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...1-any-one-else-having-mt-shifting-issues.html

I would guess it's a problem within the gearbox. I had a problem with 1st/2nd gear popping out when moving off. I had a feeling it was my gearbox. I swapped out my gearbox for a box from a DC5 because I wanted an upgrade anyway and I opened up the old one to find the synchros were on their way out

Back