• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gear Selection?

I've always wanted to know what happens if you don't select a gear properly and you get that horrible crunching or grinding noise especially in reverse gear? Does it damage the gear box, cogs or mechanism? I've heard people do it but they seem to drive off ok. does it have a long term affect on the car?

Yeah it Grates the gears, which means the cogs get wear and tear........

I mean it wont "destroy" your gear box, but metal does wear down etc etc.........

The horrible grinding noise is the sounds of the cogs spinning but not interconnecting thus connecting the gears....

true blue said:
So now and again would be ok, but regular or all the time would be bad and cause problems?

Well you can strip a gear if you force it in gear, so the thing to do is to use your clutch properly and change gear without grinding it.

Although one every now and again, if you don't force it into gear is ok, but don't make a habit of it otherwise you could up with a fairly expensive bill.

I take it by force you mean not pressing the clutch down? I've never done that but in my old car when you put it into reverse and let the clutch come up you got the grinding noise so i would quickly put clutch down and put it into neutral and then try again.

true blue said:
I take it by force you mean not pressing the clutch down? I've never done that but in my old car when you put it into reverse and let the clutch come up you got the grinding noise so i would quickly put clutch down and put it into neutral and then try again.

Yeah thats just the gear selection not geting in right, there isn't much force going through the gearbox then so you'll be ok with that.

But yeah by force is by completely miss timing a gear shift and letting the clutch out to early so you're forcing it into gear, thats where the damage can come from :)

I fluffed a change (only once) :oops: but it was at around 8k rpm as I misjudged my clutch timing, hideous noise but the box is OK. If I stripped it though I bet I could point at that unfortunate incident recorded forever in the face of a ratio!

Back