• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gearbox gear syncro's, and other stuff.

Griffin

Banned for being a tit
I've had enough of 2nd gear snatching due to knackered syncro's, so i'm going to get round to replacing them with new'ns.

should I replace with genuine syncro's or is there a after market better version available?

My CTR is starting to feel really knocky and bangy over small bumps in the road which i think is the anti roll bar bushes and other bushes so is there any recommendations on uprated bushes?

I also think the engine mounts in CTR's are a load of pif, so if anyone know's of a better make please share.

i just wan't it to feel tight again so anything im missing please add :)

Your car sounds like it has much the problems as mine. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread... Sorry to be of no help at all :)

My car often snatches 2nd, and also a bit knocky over small bumps etc. However after warming up it seems to be a bit better. I've heard the boxes in lower gears are renowned for being clunky whilst cold but think I'll wait until after/during service to rectify these issues. Also, also what I've heard is that the antil roll bar links tend to wear and something as simple as replacing them @ 20-30 sheets a piece is all that it takes to solve knocks? Correct me if I'm wrong people...

I hope by replacing the anti roll bar bushes will resolve the knocking, it's at 70k now sow some standard anti roll bushes should do until 140k.

I've had the problem with the 2nd gear snatching since about 40k and found a supplement (yellow lube guard) that made it far better but not perfect, the problem got worse and I read up and know from experience that a worn clutch can arise the same problem. so I replaced the clutch about a month ago and the problem still persists but is now far worse as I had the gearbox oil changed and there is now no supplement in there.

It constantly snatches or doesn't go into second when cold but now and then hot, it doesn't get chance to get hot during the week as it's only a 10 minute journey to work, so 90% of driving time it snatches.

It's been driving me nuts :)

i have pretty much the same problems as yourself griff.

i have a clutch but i am not sure it will cure the second gear notch so i am saving for a recon'd jdm dc5/ep3 box with lsd before i fit it.

my frontend is knocking like fook on the shocking roads round my way so i have decided to buy new top mounts, droplinks, arb bushes and balljoints. hopefully this cures my knocking problem.

mines got 36k on her, the snatching isnt too bad/very slight but I am a bit of a nit picker, proven by mates having a go to find no problem at all. I find if I drive any other vehicle like the station van that has a horrible shifting feel, then get back in my ep3, it feels perfect and wonder why i feel theres something up with it! By others replying with similar issues, this sounds a common thing, does it not

Back