• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gearbox help Accord type R

Hi there I have a Accord Type R and just wondering if I have the right gearbox due to the fact when I boot it and use vtec I change gear and when back on it drops out of vtec :( and I anit a slow shifter also I'm pretty sure hasn't got LSD as understeers a treat where as my civic which had LSD didnt, I can't be asked to take drive shaft out to check LSD and wot code the box should be I don't know if I got a prelude box on cheers :)
Andy

I'm sure you have the right gearbox mate as H series gearboxs only fit H series engines unless of course the previous owner spent an obscene amount of time and effort doing an H2b conversion. This is massively unlikely though :lol:

The dropping out of vtec when up shifting is a major complaint about the ATR's in general i'm afraid :( It's normal

Yeah, that's another common problem.

According to this, your gearbox should be a U2Q7 unit.

Hope this helps.

edit: Also, how are your tyres? Poor tyres won't help with understeer either....

You can just about keep the ATR in VTEC if you take it very close to the limiter but I agree its a shame its not easier to keep it in VTEC

Can you up the limiter a few 100 RPM and drop the hi-cam engage point with the Hondata S100? that should do the job!

Isn't the S100 a pig of an install on the ATR? I looked into doing it when I had mine and TDI told me it wasn't worth it. :lol:

I must admit im a bit ignorant to the best ECU for H22's; I'm actually on the look out for an ATR to use as a cheap daily, so will investigate further....

Mine usually gets revved right out,doesnt stay in vtec from gear change,more noticable in higher gears as not getting through the revs as quick. Also just had the front upper control arms done on mine,helped with understeer and general ride comfort enormously....they're worth checking out for play.

I know this thread is a few week old but..... The ATR and 99+ Prelude share the same short ratio gearbox, apart from the Lude doesnt have LSD. My VTEC engages at 5.5K while the ATR is 6K? I have to redline (7.8K) to still be in VTEC after changing gear. Whilst the ATR does drop out of VTEC you are still producing alot of power & torque at that RPM, Honda must have know what they were up to. To still be in VTEC after changing I would look at either getting a tune that will allow it (P28 with Hondata, Neptune, Crome etc..), or perhaps investing in a new final drive?

Back