• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gearbox Issue Help or advise needed PLEASE!

Hey guys so this morning i was driving to work but before i do i have this habit of warming up the engine before setting off, while making way to work decided to pop the vtec in a lovely straight road just love the sound and the kick since it was early morning anyways while shifting through the gears my 3rd gear wasn't selecting like it would go in but not fully when i let go the clutch it was just high reving as if i was on neutral did not make any noises what so ever, it only tends to happen when high reving but when i shift below 5k revs its fine?? Got me kind of baffled because when i finish work i tried testing it was working fine any ideas. PS. Could it b down to the gearbox oil??? Got the car about 3 months ago its done 100k on the clock but theres no history of gearbox oil been changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The symptoms of a worn clutch seem to show up at high revs. I was struggling to select 3rd gear when revving high, and it would occasionally crunch, which was due to a worn clutch. Does it engage the gear and then slip, the revs rise but not your speed? Or does it not select the gear and rev due to being in neutral? Both outcomes are most likely due to a worn clutch.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Didnt make no crunch noise but yeh revs were building up speed was droping

Norv any chance i could PM your contact no. Or i could give you mine so i could explain more clearly

The symptoms of a worn clutch seem to show up at high revs. I was struggling to select 3rd gear when revving high, and it would occasionally crunch, which was due to a worn clutch. Does it engage the gear and then slip, the revs rise but not your speed? Or does it not select the gear and rev due to being in neutral? Both outcomes are most likely due to a worn clutch.

Hey Norv just took out the CTR for another test drive because when i finished work didn't really get the chance to high rev and everything was ok it only seemed to do it this morning its left me baffled any ideas??? Could it be gearbox oil ?? I am looking to do a change soon anyways what could you recommend and how many litres.

Thanks Kev

It doesn't sound like gear oil. If it was engaging into gear then it can only be the clutch. If it bulked out before engaging the gear then it could be a selection issue. When the fault happened, did it just not drive (speed up) a d the revs rose for a few seconds and then it started to accelerate, or did you have to try and re engage the gear?

When doing a clutch it's best to change the oil, so don't bother until we know it's not a clutch issue, but FYI Honda mtf 3 is the one to use and 2l of it is enough.

It doesn't sound like gear oil. If it was engaging into gear then it can only be the clutch. If it bulked out before engaging the gear then it could be a selection issue. When the fault happened, did it just not drive (speed up) a d the revs rose for a few seconds and then it started to accelerate, or did you have to try and re engage the gear?

When doing a clutch it's best to change the oil, so don't bother until we know it's not a clutch issue, but FYI Honda mtf 3 is the one to use and 2l of it is enough.

So what exactly happened this morning while on high rev say at about 5k it wouldn't go into 3rd gear fully the. Went i let go the clutch it felt like the car was in neutral got kind of scared in case i ruin anything brought the car back to neutral then a stop and decided to try again it was working fine at low revs like anythn below 4k it would go into 3rd but not when high reving, but like i said tested it on the way back from work and not long ago it was engaging fine thats whats left me baffed. Ps there was no noises what so ever when it happened this morning

I'd say it's a clutch issue, but keep trying it and see. Mine was 100k when it happened, wouldn't engage 3rd when revving high and if careless it would crunch badly when it missed the gear!

It doesn't sound like the clutch was slipping then, just it wouldn't select 3rd. The other way to check is when it happens, try selecting the gears with the engine off, if it's fine then, that's a sign of a tired clutch.

I'd say it's a clutch issue, but keep trying it and see. Mine was 100k when it happened, wouldn't engage 3rd when revving high and if careless it would crunch badly when it missed the gear!

It doesn't sound like the clutch was slipping then, just it wouldn't select 3rd. The other way to check is when it happens, try selecting the gears with the engine off, if it's fine then, that's a sign of a tired clutch.

Will do thank you so much Norv

Had very similar symptoms recently, Can't believe how a new OEM Honda clutch transformed my car. Wouldn't take 2-6 near the redline and only would if I dropped out of VTEC, clutch wasn't slipping or anything.

Hi Guys, i recently blew my final drive, i have a spare one in the shed its 5.4 could someone tell me whats the top speed of this ratio before i put it in, wanna see if its suits...........cheers

Back