• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Gearbox oil change

Does anyone know how much oil is needed on a gearbox oil change
Do i get oil from Honda or where has everyone got theres from
How often should it be changed

I assume you mean an FK2 Type R as thats what your avatar is. Will be different for EP3, FN2 etc.

Info off Dream automotive is 2.2-2.6L required for full gearbox service. The later is from dry. So 3 bottles of MTF should do it as it comes in litre bottles iirc.

I've always used genuine Honda MTF, you can get it from loads of places, Cox motor parts, Tegiwa, Dream automotive, etc, Google will be your friend.

Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk

Amsoil MTF has always felt like an improvement in my type r's and is available from Dream, Opie oils etc, 3 bottles as it comes in quarts if i remember rightly.

No
Does anyone know how much oil is needed on a gearbox oil change
Do i get oil from Honda or where has everyone got theres from
How often should it be changed
Honda recommend changing the transmission lubricant ( gearbox oil) for the 2.00 Honda civic type R fk2 every 6 years or 75000 miles. As for the lubricant use the Honda. For information on any lubricants for the fk2 just go online and type in Cox Honda fluid capacities and it will take you to their site and a section covering all Honda cars lubricants plus coolant and quantities required and you can order this from them. Plus inform Cox of your user name on this forum and the will enter it into their system like an account so each time you order quote it and they give you an extra 5% discount. If you look in your type r handbook it will also give you the information. Regards Fred.

Last edited:
Wow every 75000 miles for a gearbox oil change, wasnt an EP3 every 20000 miles?

I change the oil in my EP3 every other service so 2 years although I dont use it much now so I could increase the interval time. I found doing it more regularly helps keep the gear change really smooth, in my opinion of course.

Did my gear box oil every year at service time. Made a massive difference every year. Best 90 quid you could spend imo. Will do the same on my new fk8.

On
Wow every 75000 miles for a gearbox oil change, wasnt an EP3 every 20000 miles?

I change the oil in my EP3 every other service so 2 years although I dont use it much now so I could increase the interval time. I found doing it more regularly helps keep the gear change really smooth, in my opinion of course.

Hi, Just looked it up online for the Honda civic type r ep3. Honda recommends gearbox oil change at 75000 miles. They wouldn't recommend this if it needed it sooner. A manual gearbox oil has astronomical lubricating abilities for incredible amounts of time.Also there's practically no heat production in a manual gearbox .The only real friction is in the bearings and considering there is only one bearing that has to put up with any high rpms there's just not enough heat build up to create any viscosity breakdown, plus the gearbox oil is so resilient that any heat build up doesn't bother it anyway. The fk2 gearbox has coolant running through it for a very linear operation meaning a cold manual transmission can be notchy till it's up to its operating temperature so the coolant in the fk2 gets warm and therefore running through the gearbox gets it up to temperature quickly ensuring a smooth operation and if there is any heat particularly on track the coolant will ensure the gearbox temperature is kept to it's operating temperature. .
This is completely different to oil in an automatic transmission where the oil has to do three jobs.
Apologies a bit lengthy but I hope it's informative.Regards Fred.

Last edited:
You'd nuts to leave the oil in to 75k miles. Gear boxes are a know week point on these and you'll be surprised to see how much metal content comes out on an annual basis just shine a torch on it once youve emptied it. You will also notice an immediate improvement in the gear shift

So on the basis of what you are saying, why do you think Honda recommend 75000 miles transmission oil change? If what you say, there would be nothing left of the gearbox in a matter of a few years. Honda's manual gearbox on the fk2 and previous type R's are the best in the business. So are you saying that metal will come out of an fk2's gearbox annually. In the lubricant? and that motorists change the gearbox oil the same time basis as the engine oil.?. But if you want to change your transmission lubricant annually its up to you. My fk2 is has 23000 miles on it and hasn't had the gearbox oil changed to date and the gear change is outstanding. Regards.

Cause if it was less than 75k miles it would need doing as part of the 555 service plan. Simple as that. They tried eeping it as cheap as possible. They even switched off the required servicing on most cars and switched it to annual (again to save money on the service plans).

As I said leaving gear box oil for 75k, is just crazy. But go for it Fred :)

As for the gearbox being the best in the business lmao. A huge amount of FK2's are needing gear box rebuilds or the synchros replacing way before 75k miles.
The gear box is a well documented weak point. Therefore anything that can be done to prevent it shitting itself would be wise.
An annual oil change (£90) seemed sensible.
As I said, the oil coming out after just 10k miles looks rough and has lots of metal particles in it. I saw this 4 times in my ownership. Also the gear change was much improved after it being done. Therefore it needed doing.

I used mine properly every day . MIne had over £8k done in warranty work. Lots of stuff breaks on them (not isolated incidents, as they get older and the mileage increases lots of the cars are having the same issues (just they will now be out of warranty).

My extended warranty was the best £500 I've ever spent as nearly all the 8k of work was in years 4 and 5

Sorry to hear you've had problems with your gearbox, if I had I probably would do the same as you have. I must be one of the fk2 owners that hasn't had any issues and long may it continue. Mine is one of the first off the production line and I've read that the early ones manufactured had less problems.I have read of the gear crunching in some fk2 and fk8 as to how many cars affected who knows? I've had 6 civics over the years and have never been let down, I don't feel the need for a service plan. I hope with your fk8 you enjoy it and have no issues.
Regards Fred.

Never had any issues with my gear box. Probaly because I changed the oil every year.
FK2/8 gearbox issues seem to be hit and miss. Some are perfectly fine and others are just plain dreadful. I remember driving an FK8 around Rockingham with fewer than 2k miles and the gear change was worse than my old FD2 which at the time had a clutch which was on its last legs.

Back