• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gearbox oil filling - top plug?

As above. Can you use the top plug on the top of the gearbox by the cables? I am mid way through doing mine but it's already coming out the top hole at the side as the car isn't completely level. Any advice would be great thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it's the oil breather on the top of the box that can be used, but wanted to check if anyone else has used this method. Reason being, my garage area isn't level so difficult to fill correctly using the top plug on the side of the gearbox.

Anyone have any tips / advice?

Biggest tip is to park it on flat ground.

If you fill it up from the top of the box you're going to have to put the filler plug back in to get any more in and you wont have a clue how much you've put in, so chances are it will be under or over filled.

You can't say, oh it takes x amount because you never know if you've still got some old stuff stuck in there or clinging to the sides, and the person who gives you the figure could have had more or less. The amount you need to put in is when it comes out of the fill hole when it's level and there's no other way of measuring it.

Ok thanks Lox. Thought that would be the case. My driveway is on a slope so just had to jack it to as close as level as I could. I poured the old oil back into the bottles supplied with the new oil, and they were full to the markings exactly, and I lost a little of the new oil overfilling when it wasn't level so it should be about right. Next time I will find somewhere level to do it - nightmare!

Back