• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gearbox whine a problem?

Got a bit of a whine from the gearbox on my 79k ep3. Pretty sure it's the gearbox as it goes when I'm motionless or when I depress the clutch. Gearbox is function well though, just as it should. No crunches or anything else. Is it anything to worry about, or is it just a quirk of the model? It's only just had a major service about two weeks ago at grinspeed. It's been like it since I've had it (around 6 weeks) I think I'm just noticing it more now I've got quiet tappets and no rattling hearshields.
Thanks
Ad

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure it's the auxiliary pulley/belt. It's really quiet, really only noticing it now the heatshields are gone and it matches the throttle, you can't really hear it once up to travelling speed either. Reckon it's worth an hours labour to check it out though?

Common problem is the idler pulley or auto tensioner pulley on the auxiliary belt. They tend to make more of a grinding noise though I'm led to believe.

Back