• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gearbox

Right then boys and gals I am getting my clutch finnally done soon..... but what is playing on my mind is that I'm having issues getting into first and second gear when cold or when changing back down when coming to a stop(always have problems getting it it to most gears might I add when driving hard but I know that is the clutch), I wouldn't say it's a crutch but it feels pritty lumpy is as if it's about to crunch is this the synchro as well as the clutch ? Also when changing from 2nd to 3rd it sort of pops out from second obviously with help from me not on its own any ideas

What's the mileage?

You'll often find a new clutch and gearbox oil change cures these sorts of issues. As well as the friction disc getting worn, the pressure plate often gets weak meaning you do get these odd, notchy changes. Fresh gearbox oil helps things along too.

im getting a clutch done soon also. the release bearing seems to be making a few whines and dry sounds, cars on 95000 with the original clutch. Bite point is fairly low but not crunching or hard to find gears. just think its worth doing with the age of things.

When you buy a clutch kit you get the release baring with it . By what you describe it sounds like the clutch realse baring and clutch plate itself has had it.
Given your mileage that's very good if it's on its first clutch.

yea ive done the oil and it hasnt done much at all, drives well so its a shame to replace it but want it done before winter months. plus having a good mate whos brilliant with cars is always handy. noise goes when peddle in depressed so im sure its that

yea ive done the oil and it hasnt done much at all, drives well so its a shame to replace it but want it done before winter months. plus having a good mate whos brilliant with cars is always handy. noise goes when peddle in depressed so im sure its that

Deffo sounds like release baring then.

What's the mileage?

You'll often find a new clutch and gearbox oil change cures these sorts of issues. As well as the friction disc getting worn, the pressure plate often gets weak meaning you do get these odd, notchy changes. Fresh gearbox oil helps things along too.
Hi loxy mileage is 70k have just done the oil and clutch fluid which has made it better its not always lumpy in 2nd gear . I just want to make sure it's just the clutch and not the syncros as well

You either take the plunge and crack the box open, in which case then you are half way there and may as well get the synchros replaced. Or you could just chance it and change the clutch.

You won't know if it's the synchros until you crack the box or get the clutch changed. If the synchros were shot, you'd get a horrible dragging sensation when changing gear and crunching as the gears try to mesh. It can be in varying degrees though.

Personally, I'd just change the clutch and see how it goes.

I ain't getting a crunch but it deffinatly feels like a dragging sensation but like I said it don't happen all the time some times it is smooth as it can be I hate cars

You either take the plunge and crack the box open, in which case then you are half way there and may as well get the synchros replaced. Or you could just chance it and change the clutch.

You won't know if it's the synchros until you crack the box or get the clutch changed. If the synchros were shot, you'd get a horrible dragging sensation when changing gear and crunching as the gears try to mesh. It can be in varying degrees though.

Personally, I'd just change the clutch and see how it goes.
Just spoke to grinspeed loxy he is pritty sure it's just the clutch but I'm going up on Wednesday first thing and he is gonna check it all out just in case

Just spoke to grinspeed loxy he is pritty sure it's just the clutch but I'm going up on Wednesday first thing and he is gonna check it all out just in case

Good man. Stevie at Grinspeed is a gearbox wizard, you'll be in good hands.

Good man. Stevie at Grinspeed is a gearbox wizard, you'll be in good hands.
Gonna be a early start but it will be worth it ...I asked him if he could open a shop in south Wales lol ....he said he has a lot coming up from my neck of the woods

Cheers for the advice as always loxy

Back