• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

General service question - Oil filter brand, Oil type etc

Hi all, recently got my Type R and have been sorting the few problems I had and generally getting it mint again. I want to carry out a full oil change soon, both gearbox and engine oil and have a few questions.

1) what viscosity and brand of engine oil do you recommend (mileage is 106k)
2) what brand of oil filter is better - Hamp or the OEM Honda one (currently has Hamp fitted)
3) what gearbox oil do I need, and how much do I need? How do I know when it's 'full'?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

1) For oil 5-40 Fully Synthetic, I use Castrol Edge in mine but Fuchs oils are also highly recommended.
2) Either filter will be fine, I've always used Hamp ones in mine (currently on my 3rd ctr) never had any problems.
3) Gearbox oil Honda MTF-3, iirc you will need 2 litres and is recommended you change this every 20k.

Any fully synthetic 5w-40 will be ideal. I used to use Fuchs Titan Race Pro S.
Hamp is spot on (Honda After Market Parts), very commonly used.
Honda MTF-3, no need to use anything else. It's been specially formulated to be used in the Honda gearbox.

Edit: Beaten to it. :lol:

Back