• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Going to buy an FN2, need opinions from the pros

Hi, I'm new :)

So I’m in the market to buy a Type R Fn2 for the missis and I as our daily drive. I have come across two local ones which I have my eye on and would like input from you guys to which you would go for on paper.
I’m going to test drive these cars later on today, one of which will be my second go.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...%20r?logcode=p

This one is at a local medium sized garage, as you can see it comes with the GT and GP packs as well satnav which I am very keen on with the addition of the big wheels. The car is in perfect condition with only a slight wear on the driver’s seat bolster. The car also has 6 services stamps to date (first 5 Honda Bristol) and will be serviced by the dealership (making 7) before is leaves along with 3 months gearbox and engine warranty. Also in June 2012 the engine valve clearance with set.
The main thing that puts me off this car is the mileage, so my first question being would this worry you with the above service history.
Second problem is and I’m not sure if this was my fault as I’m not used to the car or I wasn’t sat close enough but I struggled (crunched) gears a couple of times. I’m going to test drive the car again tonight to put this at rest. Cost of car is agreed at £6300.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...63nl?logcode=p

This is the second car, you’ll notice is a standard Fn2 but the mileage is a lot lower which has me interested as our car will be doing around 7/8k per year. This is owned by a private chap that describes the car as being 8/10 condition wise, but I will see this for myself tonight. He went on to tell me it has none of the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gear sync issues which can be common. It has 5 stamps (4 Honda) of history the last being 3k miles ago when he first got it so he hasn’t had the car long but says he’s selling it due to having a baby and needed a 5 door which he has since purchased.
Obviously is comes with no warranty and sold as seen, he will take £6400.

So to sum it up, higher spec and newer from a garage but high miles, or lower spec and lower mileage private deal. Which would you go for?
I will test drive both cars this evening and then report back with my findings and hopefully make a final decision.

tough one personally I would go for the gt model because the extras are useful climate control wipers lights etc and its got sat nav and gp pack on with the service history wouldn't worry too much about reliability in all honesty I would find another 500 quid or so and get a gt model with lower mileage so I would say neither

Both are very cheap and at the bottom of the market. Despite what it says in the advert you can expect them to be a bit tatty when you view them.

They could of course be genuinely well priced but only a good viewing and test drive will tell you that.

The GT especially with nav will be easier to sell when the time comes though.

Ok been out in the first one the red one, all very good apart from broken drivers seat which the garage said he will fix and the gears....
The clutch bites just under half way when setting off, is this to be considered normal?
Also I crunched 4th gear 3 times when in vtec, this could be my fault as I perhaps didnt engage the clutch all the way to the floor or push it into 4th quite hard enough. It engaged 2nd + 3rd gear fine everytime however and when driving normally 4th was fine. Could this be a sign of the clutch or do you reakon its cause I ride a auto s/c Jag normally and I'm not used to putting this amount of effort into driving a car? :lol:

Opinions greatly recieved.

Onto the Black one....

Could be your clutching to be fair. Should be silky smooth from 3rd to 4th though. 2nd to 3rd is normally the one you get a bit of drag or crunching into as you go through the middle and over to get it.

Clutch bite sounds OK, but if it's on the original clutch at that mileage it could be getting ready for a change.

How much milage roughly can you expect to see out of the clutch 90-120k?

Well, I'm settled on the red one, going to put a deposit on it in the morning.
The black one drove very well but unfortantly the condition was no where near as nice as the red one, it really did look like a bottom of the price range Fn2 where as the red doesnt and looks a couple of years old, it was mint inside and out. The higher spec as well helped swing in as well as the full service history, although the man with the black car claimed it was FSH it didnt have a stamp for the service he claimed to have done 3k ago, and the old was just as dark as the other car that had gone 12k since its last service.

I noticed the biting point was the same in both cars and also the gear change, by the time I'd been in the black one I was much better at changing, therefore I'm happy that the clutch in the red 92k miles Fn2 was just as good as the black 57k miler, so shouldnt need replacing in the near future.

I didnt get many replys but thank-you to the people that have posted.
Cheers!!

good choice like I said if that's your budget go with the gt every time nobody really wants the none gt one enjoy your fn2

Hi everyone.. Ill ride in on this thread, i am on the look for a ctr with factory sat nav.. I really want a 08 model because ive read a lot of issue on the 07 but i saw one that really caught my attention. Pls help me decide.. Between this two cars :)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../page/2/postcode/cm71fs/radius/1500?logcode=p

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...-type-r-gt-57-sat-nav-19-rage-alloys/1068000#

this will be my first car here in england i have no idea on what to look for.. In our country we usually bring our trusted mechanic for inspection but i dont even know one:( hope you could help me out. Thanks in advance..

Back