• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Good budget exhaust set up?

yes mate i am in the area, where abouts are you? Cheers for the input mate, yea i heard the n1 was loud and the buddy club the next step haha. Ive emailed powerflow on scotty road for a quote but havent got back to me yet, how was your service at AAS?

I'm often around Stocksfield / Mickley way so not far from Hexham at all.

Service at AAS was a mixed bag; the workmanship is great and they have an excellent reputation, particularly with full systems for V8 muscle cars. As such, they have a long waiting list, went in once and got quoted 3 weeks to the build date (about 18 months ago) and when I went in for my latest exhaust I was looking at 9 weeks but managed to get in after 6 because they had a half day empty so they could fit the backbox build in as it was a small job.

They have a very American view on things too - all about tone, not about volume. I had to reaffirm many times that I knew what I was getting into and in the end AAS built the exhaust to my desired spec but without a receipt, basically stating they take no responsibility whatsoever if I get pulled over the police, which is only fair imo, they don't need people dragging them through the dirt if they get pulled because their cars are too loud. I do respect the fact that Stew (the guy you will deal with if you go there) was only looking out for me really, as I do know a few lads who have thought they want it really loud and then after a week the reality sets in and they want it quieter. Just have to stand your ground and let them know you know what you are after! If you are looking for a full catback system though, they won't work out all that much cheaper than a branded system, they charge about £340 for a catback iirc, and last time I looked you could get a Buddy Club Spec III for £500ish if you looked in the right places, and the bonus of not having a waiting list. On the plus side, you can choose the volume, size of the centre silencer (if you want one at all) and the look exactly as you want it. The downside is the waiting! Keep in mind that the Buddy Club B pipes are allegedly quite low hanging even on non-lowered cars and very prone to speed bump knocks.

A friend of mine got a Powerflow exhaust for his Fiesta ST from the place on Scotswood road I believe, they let him specify the tip so he got the look he wanted, but iirc they use pre-designed templates, so basically two Powerflow'd identical cars, from workshops at opposite ends of the country would sound the same. His ST did not sound amazing, it was not all that loud and while it did pop and bang a bit, it was more of a bassy flub than anything else. I can't remember what he paid but it was pretty cheap though. He is onto his second ST this time around and either going for a Milltek or for a real custom.

EDIT: Just to reiterate in case I came off too negative, I am 100% happy with the exhaust AAS made me, for the money I paid it's absolutely fantastic, and their resistance to building super loud exhausts is to stop people getting something they can't handle. As long as you state that no matter how high the end volume level may be, its what you really want, they will build it. I would definitely use them again and recommend them to friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
ah right not far at all then mate, Yeah alot of garages do that now and some even refuse to fit a loud exhaust but yeah as you say if you stand your ground and tell them what your after should be fine. Might just get a b pipe for now and have the standard backbox, but i could always add a backbox after that aslong as the bores match up. 2.5inch i was going for?

I just got my 2.5" sportex unsilenced b-pipe fitted today. In all honesty, I was expecting it to be significantly louder. With the windows up it is louder than oem in the cabin, but not by as much as you would think, and you don't hear the raspy goodness. With the windows down it has quite a nice tone around town, you can hear it clearly, but it's not offensive to pedestrians.

At idle purrs beautifully, it sounds like a lion getting head. Win.

I'll post a vid over the next few days.

ahh cool! really interested to see the vid! was it an easy fit? ive heard that its a pig to fit and that the flange are welded a bit wonkey!? what other bits did you need also? what bolts, springs and gaskets? :)

It went on no bother at all. I got new gaskets for both ends, new bolts (generic 10mm front and EP3 specific rear) and springs (generic I believe) for about £10 from autosave in inverness.

Heres the vid, sorry it took so long, my camera died and I had to wait for a new one!

[video=youtube;179cwNgUIxE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=179cwNgUIxE[/video]

Cool you enjoying it then? I've just ordered mine today! Hope its alright, I'm a bit worried that its gonna sound too chavvy but its too late now its in the post :p

Aye, I'm enjoying it. Can't you tell?

It's not too chavvy loud around town, bear in mind the microphone was about a foot from the exhaust in that vid, though the local boy racers have started following me around and into car parks....

What did you go for in the end?

Haha, glad to hear! Just picked mine up off eBay in the end like £74 delivered! Gonna get hold of some gaskets & stuff soon and hopefully have it up and running by next weekend! Exciting stuff!

Sounds really good fella!!

Love the vid, but try rev matching on your down shifts, not only does it save the clutch, but you can shift down quicker and it won't jolt when you disengage the clutch.

It's just like heel-toe but without using the brakes.

Changing from say 3rd to 2nd. Engage the clutch, select the gear, but before releasing the clutch blip the throttle first then as soon a the revs rise disengage the clutch.

Heel-Toe is the same but you put the front of your foot on the brake and swivel your heel and blip the throttle in the same manner.

I find it hard to heel and toe under medium braking, if the brake pedal isn't past half travel then I can't reach the accelerator with my heel. On these tiny 1 & 1/2 lane roads you don't want to be braking hard right before the corner! I'll keep practicing! Heel and toe is bloody hard...

Jim,

Your car sounds awsome. Do you have any other mods like induction, manifold, backbox etc?

Also, is an un-silenced B-pipe MOT friendly or would the original pipe need to be put back on?

Nope, you dont have to put back your OEM b pipe and the unsilenced pipe
will pass your MOT with no problem as long as you have your cat fitted still. :)

Back