• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Goodwood

J7

Ive got a day booked on the 26th April. Never been to this track before. Just wondered if any one who has been has any good tips/ info?

If you are gonna spin off ,spin to the in field as the barriers can be very close on the outer side of the track :shock:

Have fun....oh and watch out for the slight bump part way round the first corner :wink:

8) Cheers Sara.

Some one else has warned me about the proximity of the tire walls as well :shock:

Im in for that 8) Have done Brands on bike a few times but never in a car, so would be good.

I was going to ask the same question about Goodwood Jamie! :lol:

My bro has booked me onto a track day at Goodwood on the 22nd of April as a Birthday present, and having heard its a fairly fast track I am a little concerned about the lack of run-off too. :?

Its my first track day in the CTR though, so I'll be taking it easy I think!

I'll let you know what its like when I get back. :wink:

ianwilliams said:
I was going to ask the same question about Goodwood Jamie! :lol:

My bro has booked me onto a track day at Goodwood on the 22nd of April as a Birthday present, and having heard its a fairly fast track I am a little concerned about the lack of run-off too. :?

Its my first track day in the CTR though, so I'll be taking it easy I think!

I'll let you know what its like when I get back. :wink:

Nice one Ian 8) Definately let us know how you get on mate

J7 said:
Nice one Ian 8) Definately let us know how you get on mate

Will do mate - Lou's coming too, so hopefully we'll have some pics to put up as well. :D

Goodwood was superb as a track - and the sun shone all day!! 8) All the staff were really helpful, and the sighting laps we did in the pickup with an instructor were well worthwhile imo. 8)

Unfortunately, after only about 5 or 6 laps out, my beloved CTR developed a really, really nasty rattle noise from the engine. :shock: :shock: I stuck it in neutral instantly, and coasted the last few hundred yards or so to the pits...

I had checked the oil beforehand, it was vetecing fine, and I got no dash warning lights at all before the scary noise appeared. :smt102 But man, it sounded terminal to me. :(

A very, very, generous and sound friend of my bro's (Mark) managed to borrow a trailer from another group of guys at the track, loaded my CTR up, and kindly followed us all the way to TGM in Fleet! 8) I was so grateful, and he wouldn't take any money for all his trouble. Thoroughly bloody nice bloke. 8) 8) 8)

I am soooo gutted atm, words cannot describe how I feel. :( :( :( I missed 90% of the day, but I'm am more worried about a big bill now. Hopefully it sounded worse than it is. :?

Will let you know what happens...

Sara said:
Dont worry...Tom will sort it out :wink:

Cheers Sara, I know he'll do a top job, I wouldn't want to take it anywhere else. :wink: 8)

Saw your car there last night btw - looks very :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 8)

J7 said:
Sorry to hear it didnt work out Ian, hopefully it'll be a cheap fix for you.

Cheers mate. :wink: Spoke to Tom yesterday and it didn't sound too good tbh, but I'll know more next week when he has a chance to have a look. :(

He would have recommended running with a baffled sump and slightly overfilling the engine with oil, which hadn't occurred to me before the day. I imagined overfilling, even a bit, would have been a bad thing, but it makes sense now. Hignsight (sp) is a wonderful thing eh?! :oops:

Goodwood has a section of fairly long right hand corners and with the oil pickup in the CTR in the middle, I managed to stave it of oil just long enough to do damage. The oil level was fine on the dipstick, (so I thought,) but apparently it wasn't quite enough to counteract the fact that all the oil was often in one corner of the engine. :(

An expensive day, but I've learnt from it. If/when the engine comes out, its a good opportunity to think about some new bits I might want at the same time, so hopefully it'll be back fitter and faster than before! :twisted: 8)

ianwilliams said:
An expensive day, but I've learnt from it. If/when the engine comes out, its a good opportunity to think about some new bits I might want at the same time, so hopefully it'll be back fitter and faster than before! :twisted: 8)

That's one way of wangling some mods without having to get the 'approval' of the missus... :wink: If a little extreme... :shock: Joking aside, it's a point worth highlighting (i.e. the oil sump situation and taking the car to the track) such that others can benefit from the experience. I know it doesn't help you much now, Ian. :( Gutted for you.

ianwilliams said:
Thanks mate. :smt023 YHPM.

Cheers. I can only echo what has already been said. Good luck with it and be sure to keep us up-to-date with your progress.

SharkyUK said:
That's one way of wangling some mods without having to get the 'approval' of the missus... :wink: If a little extreme... :shock:

My thoughts exactly mate - but you're right, a little bit of an extreme method! :lol:

SharkyUK said:
Joking aside, it's a point worth highlighting (i.e. the oil sump situation and taking the car to the track) such that others can benefit from the experience.

Good point mate, and the main reason I chose to post. To me, (not very mechanically minded,) the oil level looked fine. I would recommend anyone doing a track day, (esp. newbies,) to ring someone like Tom at TGM and take his advice before going, I wish I had. :oops: 8)

I will let you all know the outcome. (Donations can be sent to... :lol: :wink: )

SharkyUK said:
ianwilliams said:
I will let you all know the outcome. (Donations can be sent to... :lol: :wink: )

Ok, I'll set up a Paypal donation fund on the homepage... :lol:

LOL - thanks mate, appreciated! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Back