• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Goodyear EagleF1 AS2 vs Brigestone Potenza RE050A

Hi,

I've been reading through the numerous threads regarding tyres but just wanted to know from the people who have put the Goodyear EagleF1 AS2 on and have used them for a long time how are the comparing to the Brigestone Potenza RE050A?

i can get the tyres for the same price and I'll be changing all 4 on my 2003 EP3 type R.

Cheers,
Rob

I replaced the Bridgestones RE050As on my first FN2 with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s.

Worth noting that going from any worn tyre to a new one seems fantastic, but I was very impressed with the wet grip of the Goodyears over the Bridgestones. Dry grip is comparable. If I had the choice of those two I'd be going Goodyear again but the tyre game has moved on now.

Continental Sport Contact 5s, Dunlop Sport Max RTs and Michelin Pilot Super Sports are all very competent tyres.

Thanks Loxy,
in your opinion whats best tyre on the market for an EP3? the continental website says the sport contact 5s are discontinued and the 6 wont be out until august. I can still get the contisport contact 5 ***

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only got experience of the Goodyears and Dunlops and both are equally good tyres. Some reviews say the Dunlops wear quickly so based on that I'd go Goodyear.

That being said, I'm tempted for some Sport Contact 5s next time.

I've only got experience of the Goodyears and Dunlops and both are equally good tyres. Some reviews say the Dunlops wear quickly so based on that I'd go Goodyear.

That being said, I'm tempted for some Sport Contact 5s next time.

thanks for that. I'll check out the price difference between the sport contaqct 5s and the goodyear
thanks for the info

First thing I noticed with the eagle f1 over potenza is ride comfort, the eagle f1 has less road noise and feel more soft/spongy compared to the potenza which were hard/rigid.

Found goodyear's to have a soft sidewall. I couldnt wait to get them off, just too spongy. Never used bridgestone but currently on yoko advan v105 and find they are about the same on grip as the goodyear's but stiffer sidewall.

Bridgestones are well known for having probably the stiffest side wall structure compared to the other top brands. Never had Goodyear on the EP3 but have on other vehicles. Good grip and comfort but as others have mentioned the sidewall structure is made out of chocolate and struggle to cope when driving hard.

The Goodyears seemed to hold up well enough for me. :lol:

Img_2424edit.jpg

Each to their own really. A lot is down to personal preference. I've used the RE050a for many track days and I rate them. Easily lapping Nurburgring BTG sub 9 mins ;)
Generic Karussell photo for shîts and gigs
071772e14cd7f0e62fa5fbe562eda86b.jpg

I currently use Michieln Pilot Sport 3s on my EP3 and am happy with them. Had the fronts nearly a year and have done 18K on them and that's them down to 3.5 mm tread. I don't track my car. Just public road driving :)

the goodyears seem to be out of stock everywhere here (Dublin) and everywhere is suggesting 6-8 weeks before they be available again. bit mad! anyway i need them before my NCT (MOT) at the end of the month. tried to source some Continental ContiSportContact 5s but some crowd here who are a rip off own the rights to supply them so they screw you over and to get them online and fitted nearly works out the same (€180 a tyre!!!) The pilot sports are available to order but again are working out very expensive for some reason. FML Ireland is a complete rip-off

Try Bridgestone RE002's. The RE050A is an old tyre now, and IMO the F1A2 is far too soft for a hot hatch.

I've just put 4 new RE050A's in 205/45/17 on my EP3 and initial impressions are good. 10 x better than the Falken 452s which were on there before. Ride feels positively luxurious but then they were 215/40's before.

Back