• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Got my first test drive of the FN2 this morning

startrack

Formerly type_r_lover
I've had my EP3 since June 2005, and now want something a bit different, still with 4 seats, and I want to stick Honda as I've driven quite a few cars lately and can't get that feel that makes me love my EP3 so much anywhere else.
I still have to drive a R34 though :twisted:

Turned up to the dealership for a 10am test drive appointment, and met up with Lee, the same sales guy who got me to buy the EP3.

After all I had read about the FN2, I didn't know what to expect, apart from a very nice and civilised car (on the inside at least), with a few additional gizmos to my EP3.

He gave me the keys of a 3000 miles red FN2 GT.

The outside
Well. some people love it, some hate it, I'm in two moods. like the shorter looking and more imposing front, but the rear. Except those triangular exhaust tip I think it's not far from a disaster ...

Driving position.
A bit awkward at first, but once I realised I could adjust the seat up and down, it felt much better. The seats are tighter that the EP3 and envelop you more, which is nice, but still not as good as the DC5 IMO.
I like the dash and display, but the rev counter just isn't that visible, not in my line of sight. I had to look too far down to see it, taking the eyes from the road.
Instead of that speedo I would have loved a rev counter similar to the S2000... that would have been a good thing. And the shift light is a bit of a joke. That little dot coming on when you are in vtec. I thought the whole "type Vtec" was gonna light up, not just a big LED :confused:
Why isn't the gearbox positioned like in the EP3? That is a natural place, your hand just falls in it. in the FN2 I fell I had to "reach" for it, not as natural.

Visibility
was quite bothered by the rounded shape of the lower part of the mirrors they didn't show me as much as I would have wanted.
And the spoiler ... why oh why ?!?!? that big black piece of "engineering" was just annoying, blocking even more information of what was behind me. As you can see I'm not a big fan, although I expected it to be worse, so not a very big minus.. (still a minus)

The drive
"OMG I can't drive this" was the first thing that sprang to mind. Clutch, gearbox, throttle, everything felt different. I had to stop and rearrange my seat after a few minutes. I was expecting a tamed race car, I was in a sporty family car instead, which requires another approach.
So we sat in traffic a bit, which allowed me to play with the gear change, revving the engine to try to make smooth downshift is well different to the EP3. The DBW gives no feedback whatsoever, the throttle is just a lifeless pedal. Anyway after some time I'm sure you get accustomed to it, but it's always a strange feeling. I know this engine, but I just couldn't play with it.
We then hit some more slow traffic, and following an idiot with NO BRAKE LIGHTS I had the opportunity to test the sharp braking of the FN2. I was well impressed. The thing can stop. I played a bit more later on at higher speed, and yes it breaks well :lol:.

The handling was quite interesting. I took it to a big roundabout which is the junction of a motorway, and allows you to "slightly" push the car in corners. The car fell predictable, even when I on purpose took the corner with the balance unsettled. By this time I could see Lee wasn't too pleased I was pushing his baby, so I took it easy and exited on the motorway.
Steering feel is non existant. The EP3 isnt the best, but you have to drive it. Mine can't behave on a straight line, and need constant adjustment to actually go straight. Which is normal and good. The FN2 was behaving like my mates Golf. No feedback at high speed is another big minus for a sporty car.

Acceleration is smooth, no Vtec kick, but honestly, not much kick at all. I fell like I wasnt moving but then I was already reaching the 70.
I guess the sturdier feel to the car removes some of the fun of the EP3 acceleration, and instead makes it do the job, ie get there quick without much fuss.
WE sat on the slow lane for a while, as I wanted to judge the noise level of the car at various speeds. There again I was expecting much better from the FN2. It isn't that far from a standard EP3. Ok it's way quieter than mine, but having engine mounts, catback, kpro and intake you can't really compare :p...

We finished the drive by taking some of my most detested speed bump infested roads. And there the FN2 was a winner over the EP3. It felt less of a disturbance going over those bloody things. And the ride is actually quite high, although I didn't try to drive over those square humps to see if the bottom would catch :p.

Conclusion

I really didn't want not too like it, just so I couldn't be branded "backward", and all that crap I've read about people who just prefer the old one.
But there it is, I've tried it, and I can see why people would like it. Lots of my friends have been in my car and complained about the harsh ride (spoon springs), or the cabin noise, or the lack of boot space, or the lack of cruise control, etc...
These people will love the new one. However I know that if I wanted a car that could do all that I wouldnt by a "sporty" car and get a Golf GTI.
If you've always wanted a Honda Type R, and you want the "easy to live with" version, then the FN2 is for you.

I know you can't judge a car from only one 40 mins test drive. But the first time I got into my EP3 I was expecting something good and I got something VERY good. Here I was expecting good and I only got OK in my personal scale...
I'd love to drive it on track, at Brands in particular, coz I think the handling and acceleration could really be tested.

Personally, I know my next 4 seater is gonna be a DC5! :twisted: :twisted:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good review......I agree entirely with your conclusion.:cool:

It is a great car....but I miss my EP3.:(

I seem to be driving the FN2 like my old mondeo.......'cruising' rather than 'hooning' around.:rolleyes:

I seem to be driving the FN2 like my old mondeo.......'cruising' rather than 'hooning' around.:rolleyes:

I am driving a Mondeo TDCi - it does not feel like the FN2 though. :lol:

I am driving a Mondeo TDCi - it does not feel like the FN2 though. :lol:

Not just a Mundano, but a Mundano Estate!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just spotted a post where you took the mick out of Skodas, fancied a bit of revenge!! :lol: :lol:

well i have made a few statements saying that my fn2 is lame to the fact that i miss my ep3 and was considering getting rid of the fn2.
but yesterday i decided to turn off the vsa and give it a good caning.
fook me its a different car,it seems to have let go a little and have been driving like a hooligan again,i now love this car and the love affair has started all over again.
i will never drive in the dry with the vsa on ever again.

Not just a Mundano, but a Mundano Estate!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just spotted a post where you took the mick out of Skodas, fancied a bit of revenge!! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can take it. :lol:

well i have made a few statements saying that my fn2 is lame to the fact that i miss my ep3 and was considering getting rid of the fn2.
but yesterday i decided to turn off the vsa and give it a good caning.
fook me its a different car,it seems to have let go a little and have been driving like a hooligan again,i now love this car and the love affair has started all over again.
i will never drive in the dry with the vsa on ever again.

that's interesting...
Maybe I'll have another go without the VSA in someone's car then...

Back