• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

green key flashing(Immobiliser)

This has probably been asked million times and just can't find what I'm looking for, also this is my first CTR and not long had her (1 month). Basically the other day went to Canterbury to drop my partner off to DVLA Test center. I then went down the road and found a car park. While waiting for my partner for an hour in the car park i did have music playing with engine off.

Was coming upto 6:50pm so i thought I'll go back and pick my partner up so the car started fine. I was still waiting outside so turned engine off. 10 minutes later she came out and tried to start engine and wouldn't start. Green Key Flashing and will not start. I checked if there where any blown fuses which there wasn't and was very limited to light as was dark.

Before you ask I did have petrol lol..... Anyway I phoned up GEM and they sent out some mechanic to have a look. He checked all the cables under steering column and fuses. He said that it's something to do with the key and immobilizer and couldn't do anything as he didn't have the equipment. Too be honest I thought he was chatting **** as he just wanted to go.

30-40 Minutes later recovery truck took us home. Since then I've been searching and searching to try find the right answer. The car still locks and unlocks fine using fob. It didn't come with a spare key so can't try that.

Today Herne Bay Locks came round to recode the key to see if that was the problem using his 27k device (which he told me) plugged into obd port and is already coded and all ok, he suggest that could be ECU or Immobilizer.

Where is the Immobilizer just so i can check if all the cables are all plugged in and not damaged?

Is there a way to bypass the immobilizer?

Any suggestions I would be grateful?

Cheers

Green Key is the immobiliser light.

As far as I'm aware the immobiliser circuits are in the ECU as you have to recode the key when you swap ECUs, so no you can't by-pass it. You can turn it off with Kpro if it's functioning I believe but then your insurance is invalid.

I'd recover it to Honda, let them code that or a new key to it and see if they can fathom whether it's the key or the ECU.

cheers for getting back to me. That's why I had to ask as I thought there might have been a immobiliser unit or antenna not picking up transponder in key. This what I've found in other threads. I did check fuses and can't seen any blown and could be wrong, is there a diagram of what fuses are what to see if there's a immobiliser fuse.

I can't remember one being on the forum but I could be wrong.

I don't have an EP3 any more but all the fuses are listed in the manual. There are a few links for service manuals knocking about if you do a search, they would list them too.

Update: Had a mobile mechanic come round this afternoon to have a look. Again plugged in obd device no error codes which I already knew and he's stumped but he's going to look into it and get back to me. If the ECU was faulty or if there is a immobiliser unit wouldn't that appear as a code? Going to speak to Honda tomorrow if they can help.

There will be no error code stored for an immobiler fault, only a flashing green key light on the dash.
As Loxy said, get it recovered to Honda as they have the correct machine to recode the key.

spoken to the garage where I brought the car from as only had it for a month is taking it to Honda tomorrow so hopefully get it sorted. The mechanic said the battery was good but just to confirm that I checked the voltage couple minutes ago and is showing 11.7v that's abit low? Battery needs replacing you think?

Finally the car is working. Picked up from Honda tonight. Yep it was the key just needed recoding even though I had someone recoded the key and wasted £30.

Back