• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Grinding noise when engine is first started??

Hi Everyone, my EP3 seems to be make a grinding noise when first started. It just used to be from cold starts, but today it did the same when the engine was warmed up? Seems to be the starter motor/ignition staying on for a second or too after the engine starts.
Any Ideas??? :smt047

Hi Everyone, my EP3 seems to be make a grinding noise when first started. It just used to be from cold starts, but today it did the same when the engine was warmed up? Seems to be the starter motor/ignition staying on for a second or too after the engine starts.
Any Ideas??? :smt047

Yeah mate i would say its your starter motor:D

Have a look on S2ki.com for timing chain tensioner (I believe the EP3 has a chain also ??) there are some sound files on there, just check it's not the same sound.

My S2000 makes a similar noise to what you are describing and it's the starter motor so hopefully nothing to worry about (well relatively).

don't listen to 'starter mototr, light motor etc etc etc'....it is a common thing that happens 'once in a while'...forget about it.

I had exactly the same fault with my 05 plate CTR - had new starter motor , auxiliary drive belt tensioner and timing chain tensioners fitted. Nothing fixed it - ended up trading car back to honda for 55 plate final edtion CTR and now after approx 19k its started making the same noise after its been left overnight. Would like to know if you find a solution to this fault

It is nothing to worry about, Most do this when it is cold in the morning..

My DC5 has done it. My old CTR did it. My missus's CTR has done it.

Do not worry about it :smt023

my ctr does it aswell. only 13,000 miles and nothin showed up when it was serviced just seems to happen in mornings when its colder than 5 or 10 degrees. nothin to worry about

Mine does that all the time now. Next time Im near to a dealer I will get it booked in for a warranty fix.

It reminds me of my old Renault. As the car got older the starter motor solenoid started to stick in both directions. So sometimes it would just spin without engaging on the flywheel and other times wouldnt retract untill I went under the bonnet and hit it with a large metallic object.
When I eventually replaced the starter motor there were literally no teeth left on the sprocket to engage with the flywheel.

So while my CTR is still under Hondas care I will have a new motor fitted.

Back