• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

GUTTED........gearbox bearing

well iv had my 55reg type r for 3 months and i certainly didnt expect tobe finding problems already :confused:

1st ...when we had the cold around xmas time i noticed one morning a pretty loud grinding/whining noise when i 1st started the car this has now happened quite a few times (it only seems to happen on ice cold mornings) ....this is the 1st noise

2nd ...while driving and i take my foot of the accelerator and hear a grinding/whining noise too , now last week a freind of mine said he could hear some kind of noise in the engine after a short examination we found out that when the clutch was pressed in this noise stopped :confused:

so now today i got my car booked into honda for them to look at it , after having it 4 hours they phoned me up and said that the SUSPECTED problem is early signs of the gearbox bearing and it will cost me a whopping 1600-1800 to fix

ok if this is the problem i will gladly pay the expensive fix as its my car an i want it right but my problem is what do they mean by SUSPECTED ???? do they mean it could be the gearbox bearing or it IS

also has anyone else ever had these noises if so was it your gearbox bearing ???

i just want to be sure that the bearing is the problem before i let honda take my gearbox appart if it could be somethin else

thanks

The rattle at idle that goes away when you press the clutch in is the clutch release bearing, mine has done that for 9,000 miles, car runs fine.

The cold grinding noise isn`t rare either, my current CTR and the 2002 model I had both done it, both cars are running great. No universal cure for it, i've heard all sorts of theories.

Unless the clutch itself starts failing, I woudn't worry at all about any of the above issues.

Welcome to CTR ownership.

it aint a gearbox bearing....i know because i've gone through 2 gearboxes with honda...still have no fix for it, i keep thinking its the clutch purely because when you press the clutch down the noise goes.

When you push the clutch in the noise goes - Clutch release bearing

I had exactly the same noise when I bought my Accord in Feb 2003, all was still ok having no repairs at all when I came to sell it in October 2005.

My CTR is just the same.

thank you all for your replys i have been reading alot tonight and have noticed that alot off ppl have this problem too.

today when i picked up my car from honda and they told me about the gearbox bearing i automaticly booked my car in for monday to be fixed it would of took 3-5 days , anyway after i left there i decided togo see a mate who told me not to go and get the job done untill iv had more opinions, so thats why iv started a thread i needed tobe sure before i went a spent crazy money (which im glad i never)

so after all said and done im going to leave the car ill worry when it gets to that time , i have read that 1 guy has had the noise for 5 years but his car is stil fine so i guess ill just wait and see , my car only has a noise the rest is perfect

thanks all for the replys great help

it aint a gearbox bearing....i know because i've gone through 2 gearboxes with honda...still have no fix for it, i keep thinking its the clutch purely because when you press the clutch down the noise goes.
yes this does happen ,i also have a noise while driving too (its not loud tbh its just there if you know what i mean) wether its the same thing i dont know ill just wait and see what happens in the future

i got my ctr in November already had drive shaft heat
sheild done could be that
and i have the start up noise

i got my ctr in November already had drive shaft heat
sheild done could be that
and i have the start up noise
i will look into the heat sheild , can you confirm its the 1 with vtec accross it ?? i know i have to put copper grease on it right ?

no on the drive shaft under exhuast manifold
mine made loads of noise when starting and driving
mostly when coming down the gears
it was cracked

yes this does happen ,i also have a noise while driving too (its not loud tbh its just there if you know what i mean) wether its the same thing i dont know ill just wait and see what happens in the future

yes the noise happens on mine around 2000rpm-3000rpm accelerating or not when driving, i guess when it comes to fitting a new clutch, i will know if its the clutch release bearing that everybody here advises it is

might be worth changing the gear box oil for the sake of £30, plus I have know cars with hardly no gearbox oil in when checked:eek:

i have that noise, took it to the garage and they said it was the clutch release bearing, booked in wednesday to be fixed, covered under warranty :)

Im surprised the stealers aint asking for money to *diagnose* the problem first. What honda garage is kind enough to that under warrenty for you?

not taking it to honda, iv had some work done there on my ctr and they never did the job properly had to take it back and they still carnt do it right, got a good garage round the corner who new what the problem was straight away without diagnostics. the warranty isnt with honda as i didnt buy my car from them, peugeot warranty as i got my car from one of there garages...

Back