• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Handbrake failed MOT - 8% Hand Brake efficiency. Faulty Caliper OR handbrake cable?

I have recently felt like my brakes are not braking as well as they should be despite replacing discs and pads last year so I put it in for an early MOT (2weeks)

I have had brake binding on the right rear, which was fixed at previous MOT and it passed along with adjustments to the handbrake.

However this time it has failed, its KO. I have had problems with the slider on the caliper on previous occasions too which wasnt too bad at that time.

So im guessing the caliper needs changing. Could it be something else?

Is there any way of finding out if the handbrake cable also needs replacing?

I feel like the car doesnt stop so well, but I was under the impression the rear brakes are not used as much but it still seems to be affecting it.

I would say caliper, you can get refurb kits to rebuild the calipers, there are several threads on here about it.
Sure there is a how to on here somewhere or something similar.

2nd caliper I had the same thing, got mine replace for new wasn't that expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caliper isn't too expensive, at £60 each. Had tracking re done and steering wheel still wobbles and doesn't feel sharp at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back