• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Handling Issues!

I’m having handling issues, it’s hard to describe but it just doesn’t feel as planted as usual. It’s a bit woolly and I swear I can hear a slight grinding noise when I’m parking at low speeds. It almost feels as if I’ve got a flat but I’ve checked and they are spot on.

As I’ve not given you much to go on I’ll give you the back ground.

It started on Thursday I went over a lot of speed bumps in a short distance with a couple of boxes in the boot. These boxes sounded as if they were knocking together when I went over each speed bump so I pulled over to secure them. As I got out I noticed some glass so I made sure I tried to avoid the glass pulling back out. The drive back to the office was uneventful but I thought I’d better check my tyre pressures just in case and they were fine. I checked them again before I set off home for the night and they were again fine.

On my way home it really felt like I had a flat so much so I pulled over three times in total just to check I didn’t. I don’t get wheel wobble and if I let go of the steering wheel it carries on going straight so it doesn’t look like tracking.

I thought it was just in my head after going over the glass but I’ve lost all confidence and I need to do something about it.

Well if you’ve got this far down thank you but can you help? Is there anything I can check or does it look like a costly trip to Honda?

I know exactly were you are coming from, I got out twice the other day and was convinced I had a flat. I reckon I had myself convinced too, put it down to tram lining which is a characteristic of the EP3 and have not noticed it as bad since tbh.

I spend most of my time driving around imagining new stuff wrong with my FN2.

Today it was the clutch and there's chuff all wrong with it.

The main reason I got rid of my EP3 was that I was thinking a bill would come along in no time but in truth I very much doubt there was anything wrong with it!

Try swapping your tires front to back, probably get the placebo effect! ;)

I'm glad it's not just me then ;)

I do need to swap my tyres round to wear the cheap ones out first, i'll do that tomorrow and see how it goes.

if you have scrub out on your rear tyres from the camber angle, rotating front to rear will make you want to swap them back. i rotated mine and wish i never. very twitchy and tram lines 10 fold.
i suffer from type-r paranoia real bad and have thought up many problems with my CTR but have never had a real problem.
you say it started after hitting some speed bumps. were the boxes heavy?
i suggest pushing down on all corners and check for rebound bounce in your suspension. push down hard and let go, if it rises and settles instantly then your dampers are good. if it continues to bounce up and down more than say twice then you have a expensive problem. check this first and check your CTR is sitting level if its on the p*ss or down on one corner then it may be a broken spring. check your handbrake, jack the rear wheels off the floor and see if the wheels spin freely with the handbrake off obviously. if these things are good and as you have said your tyres are good then i would go to a large empty car park and sling it hard left and right a few times, if you dont spin out or flip upside down then im afraid you have type-r paranoia.

thing is, you can hear lots of noises in these cars from the lack of sound insulation, paranoia can change your driving technique to the point of you thinking there's a problem.
best of luck with it mate.

The rear tyres are almost new, I think the previous owner changed them just before the sale to pass the MOT but used Westlake (I've never heard of them either). So the plan was to swap round and put the Potenza on the back.

No it was a couple of computers, light and small enough to carry one under each arm. It was more the annoyance of the rattling than anything else.

I'm going to take it round Hi-Q at lunch to swap the wheels round so I'll get them to check the suspension and handbrake while I'm there.

I have given it a bit of stick on a car park and didn't end up on my roof but have lost the confidence on roads. Not to do stupid speeds but just to keep up with outside lane normal traffic flow on a bend.

This paranoia really is a head f**k!

I'm in Bedfordshire in the next couple of weeks so we could have the first TRPSG (Type-R Paranoia Support Group) session ;)

Well I went to my local Hi-q (who I can really recommend) and they checked the above and as suspected all is fine.

I gave it a bit of a belt afterwards and it seemed OK. I will put it down to the Westlake tyres on the back (saves my embarrassment) they said they are the cheapest tyres money can buy.

So for all you TRP sufferers try popping into Hi-q and ask for the placebo special ;)

I'll keep you posted on my trials and tribulations.

Back