• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hard brake line fittings question

Is the threaded fitting on the end of the hard brake line supposed to rotate freely?

I just tried to fit my first Goodridge line (OSF) but the caliper end ended up about 180 degrees away from how the rubber hose sat (bend towards rear rather than front).

There was a small amount of movement on the 10mm brake pipe fitting, but I got that feeling that it might break if I tried turning it further.

I looked on the Lings website and am further confused that the OS hard line is £52.90 and the (far longer) NS line is £13.22.

I assume that replacing these with copper lines is not recommended?

If its the union on the end of the steel ( standard ) pipe then yea it has suppose to move freely until it comes in tight contact with the hose.They then tighten against each other ( male to female flare) and seal.

Thanks. I don't think that I am willing to see how far it will turn until I have a backup.

Sent using Tapatalk

What are the hard lines made from? Steel, copper or kunifer?

My thinking is that I would definitely replace the OSF pipe whole, but the other three are considerably longer. If they went, I'd consider splicing a short piece in at the wheel end.

Sent using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with splicing a section in.
Honda brake pipes are coated with a plastic kinda sleeve... All except the end half inch.
That's the most likely place to rot.

Needless to say replacing them with copper piping stops them rotting again.

One more question about Goodridge hoses. The last time that I bought a set, I am convinced that I got U clips, SS banjos and washers (different car). This time I got only hoses. Is this the norm now?

Think I may use HEL next time as you can spin their fittings and they definitely include banjos and washers.

Sent using Tapatalk

The last set I fitted was Jamie's ( jimbothemagnificent) and his came with banjo bolts and washer. No horseshoe clips though.
I can't remember what make his was but I suppose it depends on the brand of lines.

Mine are HEL but I honestly can't remember what came with them.

The seller assures me that hoses only is standard now, but the box implies that banjos and washers should be included.

I've ordered some HEL banjos anyway as I was not happy with the difference in height between SS fitting and OE hose moving the holes further apart.

Sent using Tapatalk

Purchased a flare tool, some kunifer pipe and fittings just in case. Didn't use them.

I used plenty of plus gas (first application 24 hours before) and a little frost-bite, and despite the front pipes feeling like they were going to twist and shear, they were OK.

Back