• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hard wiring chargers 12V?

I have an iPaq PDA on order (due in 2 weeks:roll: ) for which i bought the tomtom nav-5 BT (already received). Both will be fitted to the CTR!

Both devices come with their own 12V car charger, but also i have received a 2-in-1 charger that has both devices' connectors in one 12V adaptor Cool
when it comes to locating in the car, i'd prefer to mount the PDA on the driver side, bottom of screen, but it's too far from the 12V socket, plus the 2-in-1 charger is a bit of a handful. I don't wnat to locate it centrally in the windscreen just to be able to charge them.

Question is this:
Can the adaptor be cut offand both chargers "hard-wired" into the car's ignition for power? or does the adaptor convert the 12V supply into another voltage (can you tell i've no idea what i'm doing yet?!) Question Is there a recommended method of doing such a thing? My local ICE installer will do the work, but i don't want to wreck anything!

Help much appreciated.

Thanks

dont cut off the adapter mate, u you damage the unit, mainly becuase the voltage is stabalised and sometimes kept at 5v by the plug.

at work we use these female sockets we hard wire behind the dash, so then we can just plug the sat nav in.

Thanks both.
I sort of knew it needed to retain the adaptor/plug, but couldn't figure out how it could be done.
i'll get onto it

questions
1. is the 4-way adaptor permanently powered up? Does that then work in the same way as the standard cig socket -i.e. if there's nothing plugged in drwawing power, it's not using car battery?
2. Did you hide your 4-way under the dash always out of sight - is it then easily accessible to add/remove different accesories?
3. what about the current rating on, for example, a PDA + tomtom Navigator 5BT, iPod + phone charger? I know that it is gonna be very rare that all 4 items would need charging at same time, but what are the maximum possible combinations? e.g. PDA+tomtom together, PDA+iPod togerther, iPod+phone+tomtom???

cheers :D

REGAN said:
questions
1. is the 4-way adaptor permanently powered up? Does that then work in the same way as the standard cig socket -i.e. if there's nothing plugged in drwawing power, it's not using car battery?
2. Did you hide your 4-way under the dash always out of sight - is it then easily accessible to add/remove different accesories?
3. what about the current rating on, for example, a PDA + tomtom Navigator 5BT, iPod + phone charger? I know that it is gonna be very rare that all 4 items would need charging at same time, but what are the maximum possible combinations? e.g. PDA+tomtom together, PDA+iPod togerther, iPod+phone+tomtom???

cheers :D

1. nope, its only powered up when the key is turned one click so the electrics are on (same as the cig lighter)
2. mine is hidden behind the center console beside my foot
3. I currently power my road angel classic, aem uego, shift light, and pda from mine, oh and the phone charger too when thats plugged into the cig lighter! :)

Nice one, thanks for info.
Went to Maplin's yesterday, bought the 4-way, in-line fuse block - what size fuse does it need? 10A or 5A? (i'm doing my own head in now so ido apreciate all your help :wink: cheers)

REGAN said:
Nice one, thanks for info.
Went to Maplin's yesterday, bought the 4-way, in-line fuse block - what size fuse does it need? 10A or 5A? (i'm doing my own head in now so ido apreciate all your help :wink: cheers)

I'm pretty sure its a 15 but could be worth checking in the service book as I cant honestly remember off the top of me head

Back