• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hardwire PDA 12v Supply

I want to install and extra cigarette lighter 12v socket in the car. So I can run my PDA without having a cable across the dash.

Ideally it would be somewhere near the furry pocket or fuse box. I've had a quick look and can't see an easy cable to tap into.

Has anyone done this, or similar. Where is the best place to pick up a 12v feed :?:

best place I found was to tap into the back of the cigarette lighter itself.
I made up 2 y shaped connectors using a few spade connectors to split the line.
Kinda hard to explain but I dont have any pics so hopefully you can work out what I mean.
Basically each "y splitter"consisted of two lengths of wire crimped into a single female spade connector, with a male spade connector on each of the other ends of the two wires.
You can then connect the female end of the "y splitter" to the back of the cigarette lighter and connect what was originally on the lighter into one of the male spade connectors from each of the splitters. Make sure you get the +ve and -ve the right way round! (+ve is on the middle of the lighter, -ve on the outside).
You should then have a spare +ve and -ve male spade left over to connect up whatever you want :)

I had thought about that feed.

But I didn't want to remove that trim. I had loads of problems when I removed it on my Sport. I always think its going to snap :evil:

FreakOnALeash said:
best place I found was to tap into the back of the cigarette lighter itself.
I made up 2 y shaped connectors using a few spade connectors to split the line.
Kinda hard to explain but I dont have any pics so hopefully you can work out what I mean.
Basically each "y splitter"consisted of two lengths of wire crimped into a single female spade connector, with a male spade connector on each of the other ends of the two wires.
You can then connect the female end of the "y splitter" to the back of the cigarette lighter and connect what was originally on the lighter into one of the male spade connectors from each of the splitters. Make sure you get the +ve and -ve the right way round! (+ve is on the middle of the lighter, -ve on the outside).
You should then have a spare +ve and -ve male spade left over to connect up whatever you want :)

Exactly what I did to power my shift light, I would say its the easiest feed to get to.

Agree with above

Dont cut off the cigar lighter plug though, as these quite often have some electronics in them that need to be there for it to work.

If you want PM me and i will send u a little hardwire kit we use at work, basicly is a female cigar lighter socket and plug so u dont have to chop the plug offf the end of the PDA

Edited the post so you should be able to see my pictures. Not sure what happened

As for the inline fuse I would use the one out of the ciggarette lighter itself. I swapped it for the one currently in as that would be correct otherwise the manufacturer wouldn't have used it. Hope that helps, oh and as for the 4 way plug you can easily attach it using plastic wire ties

Back