• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Have i just bought a pooper ?? engine noise ??

firstly id like to say hi :) my names chris and im from the somerset area, I feel rather rude just registering and asking for help within 24hours but ive heard this is a good place to be if you have an issue.

Now firstly ive bought a 02 plate ep3 typr r (obviously lol) good condition all round ... im actually wondering if someone here had it at some point, I'll get some pics up for you guys as soon as possible and see if anyone recagnises it, would be great if i could find out a bit more history about it.

The car has had some work done here and there such as a full rebuild with forged pistons in 2010 (Around 30k ago) ,a Gruppe M carbon fibre induction kit Also has a powerflow cat back and a random decat pipe (Either cheap bodge up or a cobra pipe or something, so its rediculously loud as you can imagine, so when i bought it i never noticed any mad sounds , Two days after buying i notice at 3k a rattling sound coming from the engine , Popped the bonnet and revved up to around 3k to hear it and put my ear to the hot engine (Stupid idea i know) and the sound seems to be coming from to the left of the engine, not by any of the 4 pistons...

Its not a tappet sound as although sometimes it will increase with speed its never consistent its more random like shaking a bottle with a bolt in it, the main time i can hear it is while under load... ?

Am i right in saying that the tensioners are a good place to start ? could this be chain slap ?, I wasnt so sure as when it had the rebuild (Due to a seized engine going by the receipt) it also had the chain changed aswell ... The rebuild cost £3000 so cant imagine it was bodged with second hand parts ... Or so i hope...

I will try and get a video as soon as possible for you guys but 1 my iphone 6s camera probably wont do a good job so appologies in advance for a poor quality video upload later lol

Any help i can get would be greatly appreciated as ive seen one mechanic who had a 5 second listen under the bonnet and said "oh its either bottom end or little end" and "Also could be a loose piston in the chamber wobbling about under pressure" So id rather get some different advice...

Thanks

Sounds to be like driveshaft heat shield

Look under the car on the drivers side driveshaft you will see the heat shield, just unbolt it and drop it off

Last edited by a moderator:
Go round all your sensors and bolts, things like exhaust manifold studs, heatshield bolts etc before you go tearing into stuff. Could easily be something as simple as that.

My heat shield bracket is currently hanging loose round my CAT and 3,000 RPM is when its most noticeable, and like yours, sounds like something in a bottle being rattled. So yea i'd start with heat shields too.

Ive had a quick look and im pretty sure that the heatsheild is in fact missing so can't be that unfortunatly

Yes chap i will get a video up in a couple hours once the misses gets home, be a pain running after two kids in the car park while grabbing a video lol.

Some forged builds can give piston slap when cold. If the noise is always there then possibly something loose/worn.

Back