• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Head Unit power feed issue?

Hi - we have recently bought a 2004 facelift type r - it had an aftermarket head unit installed. On the test drive, the head unit worked. Shortly after purchase, the head unit stopped working. I phoned the previous owner who seemed to know that there was an issue as he said to waggle a power wire/fuse box (as below) about - it then worked. However, recently it stopped working again and on waggling the wire about the end came loose - we are not sure now where (if anywhere) it was plugged in. It seems to be the live/power lead (and has been tested and it has power continuity) and we have even connected an alternative mobile 12v power supply up to the end of the loose wire and the head unit powered on immediately. Therefore, we know the power/live wire has power to it, but do not know where to plug it in. I know this sounds odd but it seems as if someone for some reason has "bodged the wiring up" and created an alternative power feed, but where does it plug into?? - I see there is what looks like a diagnostics port nearby but can't see how that would be involved. I am trying to find the simple answer (if there is one) as it was working with this set up and I would rather get it working again rather than removing the fascia etc - just to confirm the yellowy looking wire (actually orange) is connected to the rear of the head unit and has been joined/taped to the red power feed and the small black fuse box and the loose red wire comes out of the other end of the black fuse box - as you will see the loose wire is only 4-6 ins long and I presume was previously connected to an unknown at present power feed/supply

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz91/doobs12/mattheadunitloosewire.jpg

you have to take the unit out so can see a bit more. i.e if there's a missing wire from a connector or something. does seem a bit odd though.

Now resolved, still not sure where loose wire was connected, but we have spliced/connected a joining wire up to it via the power feed behind the cigarette lighter and it now works fine! I think wherever it was previously connected to was pretty dodgy as head unit would randomly not power on or cut out over bumps, suggesting a loose/iffy connection!

take it all out, & re-wire correctly. properly . least you know jobs done good if you do it yourself.for all you know there could be other wires exposed. which could result it popping a lot of fuses!

Back