• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Headlight Plug Colours 2002 Help Please

Hi people, done a facelift headlight conversion at the weekend and just can not concore the wiring my problem is i cut both original connectors off and i've miss placed the orignal drivers side one.

Im in desperate hope one of you guys can pop out to your car and tell me what colour wire goes were on the drivers side. I currently have a 2002 Type R encase any off the looms are different. You may need to pop the back off the black plastic plug to check which wire goes were.

Ive attached an edited photo of the original wiring diagram the OP put up on the how to guide and labelled them 1,2 & 3 im hoping someone can tell me what colors they have going to each pin on that connector.

The colours i have coming out the original loom are: Solid red, Red with a white strip and Red with a blue strip.

Sorry Mod's if this isn't allowed as its sort off a duplicate from this thread but anyone can answer it really: https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/...Pre-facelift-to-Facelift-Headlight-Conversion

Can someone please just invest 1minute off there time to have a look at this for me. Really starting to loose my rag with it all tbh.

Still no one, ive been driving around without headlights for like 2 weeks now. Pretty please if someone could have a look for me i'd be really grateful, as ive spent way to much time on it all now and getting proper teasy with it

So been along time now without main beam, can someone spare literally 30seconds of there time to look for the above colours please

Just from looking at the diagram, and under the ASSUMPTION that your wires are still in the OEM configuration I guess they will be as follows:

1 - red/blue
2 - red/yellow
3 - red/white

You should use a multimeter to test the connections and make sure. Continuity from 1 to the chassis and from 2 to the red/yellow on the other plug will confirm it.

Also, I can't tell for the life of me what three colours of wire you're showing in that pic so I've assumed it'll be the same as you've put in the circuit diagram.

Alternatively, plug them in and risk it. Worst case you have to buy a new bulb or whatever. Probably why no one wants to give you any advice - it could well be wrong and kill the bulb if someone has fcuked around with your car before you.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went out and checked mine, an 03 EP3.

Looking at the plug from behind (i.e. From the driver's seat) the red/blue is on the RHS, red/yellow is on the LHS and the solid red is at the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for that i really appreciate it. Yeah i've been checking with the multi meter and i just couldn't make head nor tail off the readings i was getting back. thanks again mate really good off you.

Thanks so much for that i really appreciate it. Yeah i've been checking with the multi meter and i just couldn't make head nor tail off the readings i was getting back. thanks again mate really good off you.

You're most welcome - but as I said in the first post, that is only true if no one has messed with either of our cars, there is still a risk it'll be wrong. I suppose worst case if they're the wrong way you'll get the beam on when the normal is on and then you can swap, but it might fry a fuse. Solid red is pretty certain to be the ground though, put the multi-meter between the end of the solid red and somewhere bare on the chassis and you'll know.

When you use a multimeter unless you know a fair bit about electronics the only useful reading for working on a car is the continuity setting. The one that makes a beep when you touch the two test leads together to indicate there's a connection, some also give a numerical reading (think it might be in ohms!?). It'll be pictured as a diode with a wifi sort of symbol. It will read '1' meaning infinite resistance if there is no connection.

continuity_settings_r.jpg

01_Multimeter_Tutorial-09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back