• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Headlight Problem, need some advices please!

Hi there,

I am new here, I was a member previously but have forgotten the user name and password all thanks to work being abit hectic.

Anyway, I have a small problem which I believe I might be able to pick your brain or from your past experience to resolve this issue.

My 2005 CTR EP3 has a headlight issue which has been bugging me for a while, I have fitted the HID kit from HIDs4u before, and I fitted the kit myself, and been working for about a year and half, then one day all in a sudden the driver side light has stopped working, as I was on my way to work so didn't have time to look at it. However, when I return to the car later that evening, I started the engine and found out even the left side headlight has gone, and the headlights were only supported by the a very low level Full Beam, so I drove slowly home and the next day I took out the kit and sent it back to HIDs4u to get a replacement set (which they did, I still haven't fitted it).

Anyway, during the mean time I thought I would fitted the normal Halogen Bulbs back on, but later found out the driver side light is on but at a very low level, not just that, even the low level Full Beam came on too, so I went to Halfords and bought replacement bulbs and fitted them, same issue remain. So I called the "AA", and the guy came and looked at the car, he first suspected its a grounding issue, but then he checked everything and said the grounding is fine, he just couldn't identify the problem.

Anyway one have a clue what is going wrong with my car? I can tell you when I have the first level side lights on, they are working fine, however when i turned on the second level which brings out the Low Beam, the driver side bulb is very low, and the Full Beam also came on but at a very low light level. One more thing I noticed at night, I can see the Full Beam icon on the dash board, but not glowing bright blue, only a very very low light level so that I can just about to see the icon comes on.

Please help? I really don't know what to do, I have changed the fuse box fuse under the bonnet, which has a number "15" on it, and the same problem remains, if it is a fuse issue, am I replacing the wrong fuse? Or is there another fuse box somewhere behind the glove box?

Please help! Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

Best regards,

CTR8

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds just like the aa man said, i would say its a grounding issue, check that they are properly grounded, however, it does sound like the wrong voltage or current is being delivered to them, just check and make sure you have put the right rated fuses in (checking in your handbook to make sure). Have you got just HID kit for the dipped or both the dipped and main??

Sounds like a bad ground to me also. Have you checked the difference in both headlight with a voltmeter with them switched on?

Could it be a bad relay in the fusebox under the bonnet?

Hi guys. I am having exactly the same problem as above. Has anyone came to a solution? Is it the relays? Thanks in advance

Back