• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Headlight refurb fail

Seems like I'm learning the hard way lol well I spose first diy hiccup isn't too bad lol!

Basically I used some 1200 wet and dry, then used autoglym srp, it feels really smooth and no longer flaky but it's still quite cloudy! Is this due to doing it by hand or did I go wrong somewhere?

Ps I panicked so I haven't done the other headlight :/

people who normally wet and dry headlight will polish them up with a DA.

this is probably why they are still "cloudy". HTH

on headlights i cant see it being too hard.

be careful of paint as there is a risk of damage (burning and cutting to much)

also it might be worth using a cutting compound first (G3) then going on to use SRP.

Yeah I masked up the bodywork around the headlight when I was sanding anyway

Cheers for your help mate

You have to use a machine polisher for this otherwise you'll be there forever. Also its not just a case of once they're done, they're done. You have to keep on top of it.

My driver side one suffers with it, I have put up with it for 18 months but I finally bit the bullet and purchased a new headlight recently.

Seriously, try that Xerapol stuff. Another guy I know who de-laquered his headlights spent over 2 hours on one of them with T-Cut & buffer & it still didnt come out looking as good as mine did with one application of that Xerapol. When Id done with my headlights they were bascially white because of the clouding, but after going over them a couple of times with that they were spot on. Not often I rave about these types of things - ive bought countless scratch & mark remover products over the years & theyve all been awful. But this one genuinely works.

Seriously, try that Xerapol stuff. Another guy I know who de-laquered his headlights spent over 2 hours on one of them with T-Cut & buffer & it still didnt come out looking as good as mine did with one application of that Xerapol. When Id done with my headlights they were bascially white because of the clouding, but after going over them a couple of times with that they were spot on. Not often I rave about these types of things - ive bought countless scratch & mark remover products over the years & theyve all been awful. But this one genuinely works.

Say this out loud with an American chirpy accent and it sounds like a tv shopping add :lol:

Sometimes though the film you get on the lights can be on the inside of the light due to just generall dirt build-up

first off i'd wet flatt a little finer than 1200, id go to 2000, then you need to be using something more course like a compound to get the initial gloss back up then drop down to a fine compound to finish, if you can get hold of a mini polisher then that will help speed up the process as the compound works better when its warm, that doesnt mean warm it up and use it, just it will get warm when its worked in with the polisher, we use 3m products which can be bought from most motor factors or maybe ebay, the green top is the course compound then the yellow top is the fine compound, and they do a blue top wax which is realy good aswell, hope this helps

Back