• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Heavy clutch pedal - time for a new clutch?

Hi all,

So my clutch pedal feels like it's getting heavy.

I am not a mechanic by any means so I am not sure if the clutch is supposed to be like this or my leg is just getting weak :lol:

Generally the gears are changing smoothly with 2nd gear now and again feeling a bit notchy.

I can see from the previous owner that a new clutch and release bearing was done in 2012 at 53000 miles. The car has now done 115000 miles.

Thinking about getting it done for peace of mind. Any advise please?

It's usually the pressure plate that leads to a heavy clutch, but if the clutch fluid has never been changed, it may be worth giving that a try!

It's usually the pressure plate that leads to a heavy clutch, but if the clutch fluid has never been changed, it may be worth giving that a try!

Cheers Loxy.

The service history is a bit patchy I must admit. I haven't changed the clutch fluid since I've had the car (nearly 2 years) and I am not sure when it was done prior to that so probably worth a go. Bit cheaper than a new clutch I'm sure :)

I've just had a new clutch fitted and the pedal is now very light in comparison to how it was before and the gear changes are also lighter and slicker than before, but my old clutch was on 106,000 miles so it was well worn.

I've just had a new clutch fitted and the pedal is now very light in comparison to how it was before and the gear changes are also lighter and slicker than before, but my old clutch was on 106,000 miles so it was well worn.
I've now purchased a replacement Honda clutch. Should make the car much better and hopefully a lighter pedal.

Just need to find a garage to do it near me and find the time to get it done.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I got my clutch fitted by red r performance near northampton. If you live anywhere in that area they are well worth a look.

I got my clutch fitted by red r performance near northampton. If you live anywhere in that area they are well worth a look.

Thanks. Have you had some work done there already? I have spoken to them before although not had any work done there yet. It's not too far from me but I have just got a new puppy within the last 2 weeks and going anywhere or doing anything at the moment is a nightmare. The clutch isn't urgent so I may well give Red R a ring at some point I'm sure.

Yes I've had a few things done at red r, steering rack refurb, valve clearances, ball joints etc, I would definitely recommend them, Matt's work is always spot on.

Back