• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Heavy oxidised red Mazda MX-5

This is my first real challenge and the first post of a project so far. I was planning on using the M07 also but forgot it at home :( Also forgive my sometimes lousy english grammar, im norwegian after all. Anyway:

Went over a MX-5, the paint was heavy oxidised and the front bumper was in bad shap. Last owner hadnt taken any good care of it at all, and the new owner was giving up on it after using polish with fillers and color and seing that it didnt give any good result and that it didnt last long. I persuaded him into giving me a shot at it. The condition of the paint wasnt that bad really. Alot of scratches yes, but not trough the paint. I also soon found out that this was the first car ive detailed which didnt have any clearcoat at all, i might have another go at it when my recently ordered DeWalt rotary arrives to remove the last bit.

Used:
Meguiars NXT shampoo
Meguairs Wash mitt
Meguiars Waffle and Super suede drying cloth
Meguiars Plastx
Meguiars Mirror Glaze M80
Meguiars Mirror Glaze M85
Meguiars NXT Tech Wax
Meguiars 1500 grit paper
Meguiars High Gloss on tires
Meguiars Trim Detailer
Small woolpad on a drill
Small polishpad on a drill
Gritguard

Washed down with nxt shampoo and washmitt, dried the car with super suede and waffle drying cloths. Used two buckets with gritguards. Only had to clay at the sideskirts and the rearend.

The rear lights and chrome/plastic details was taped off. Used 1500 grit paper on the lights wich were original and looked like hell. Then a small woolpad on a backingplate on a drill with M85 and then a polishpad with Plastx. The result was the best ive ever done so far on plastic lights.

Taped off an area on the trunklid and the right end fender. Did a couple of passes with the DA using polish pad, speed 5 and M80. Looked at the result and decided to do a couple of more passes and used that on the rest of the car. The owner and the neighbours jaws just dropped when they saw the result and started asking if this was some heavy rubbing or if it was some red color in it. Red single stage paint was fun, but damn it was heavyer to work with than clearcoat paint. It soaked up the polish and so i had to use much more time than i normally do.

img1413uu2.jpg

img1414cq0.jpg

As i mentioned, the front bumper was somewhat matte, so im not satesfied with it but hey, the owner was, and i guess thats what matters the most.

Then used NXT tech wax with the DA. Let it drie while we had dinner and then used the da with a microfibre bonnet to polish off the remaining wax.

Finally used high gloss on the wheels and trim detailer on the plastic. Forgot to bring my metal polish also so the exhaust looks like crap.

img1418lu8.jpg

Reflectionshot of the same trunklid as in the first two pictures.

img1419ia7.jpg

img1420qn0.jpg

img1421ll4.jpg

img1422wo5.jpg

Reflectionshot of the rear lights

img1426iu2.jpg

img1424pv5.jpg

img1428sg1.jpg

img1430iu8.jpg

img1434cg8.jpg

The frontbumper wich didnt become as good as i wanted

img1435ba9.jpg

Red paint without any clearcoat, yellow turns into red

img1438pk5.jpg

Tradiotional "meguiars product reflection ontop of car" picture ;)

img1440ma6.jpg

Nice effort :D

You could have got a nice norweigan blonde to pose next to it too... :lol:

Very nice, that looks like had work.

I suppose the bumpers are harder because they are plastic instead of the metal panels.

Looks great compared to the as-found photo's, no wonder the owner is happy.

Thats brilliant. I bet you felt well chuffed when looking at it once finished :)

Great effort - results speak for themselves. :cool:

Norwegian Blonde is a must for these shots though, we need international ladies. :D :D

Back