• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Help a fed up Type r owner :(

Evening guys and girls! Hope you can help a very pissed off and fed up Type R owner. I am also on the civictype-r.co.uk forum so also trying to get some help from there (but site currently down)

Car – Civic Type R EP3 – 30thAE – RBC / DC Header (decat) / Supersprint b-pipe / AC invo backbox / K-pro – 248bhp.

Upon acceleration the car judders / misfires (I don’t get a misfire / pop from the exhaust) just a shake as if I am stabbing at the throttle. Sometimes only does it once or twice other times its every few mins etc even seconds. Car revs fine with clutch down, so I assume it fuel / throttle related.

Very intermittent fault. I first noticed it back end of last year, lasted about a week I put it down to bad fuel / weather. Then came back in about April / May at which time I spoke to TDi who have always done the work / mods on my car, tried to datalog the fault but again it went away!

Started again last week, spoke to TDi, managed to get a datalog to which they thought may be the tps. Left it off the road for most of last week and took it to TDi today, (90 mile drive) car was fine for about first 20 miles, then started playing up again all rest of way, so I thought great TDi can jump in and see / feel the fault for themselves. Sods law it was fine when they drove it.

TDi mapped the car again and also replaced a vacuum hose from the RBC which had a tiny split in it (which I had covered up with electrical tape to see if it helped the problem but it didn’t last week)

Car had lost about 7 or 8 bhp – but we put this down to when it was first mapped it as early Jan and freezing cold weather, today was hot and car was very hot at end of the run and fan was only on low blow.

Drive home was fine, took it out tonight and its playing up again, not juddered yet but very ropey, when accelerating throttle should obviously be smooth, it feels like its hunting, also building up throttle slowly then trying to hold revs at around 3k / 4k you can hear the tone changing hunting up and down.

What now? Checked all plugs / coil packs / sensors / hoses many times and TDi also gave it a look over today. Doesn’t throw eml light on, no error codes when read. TDi were great today, top bunch of guys, but until something actually breaks down or throws an eml I could spend ££££ and can’t keep making a 90 mile journey to TDi.

Back