• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Help !! ctr wont start ??

got in car wont start so call rac out and he connected battery to his van and he said it was flooded, but it started after many turns.

trouble as it got warmer, the idle started to wonder up and down rev range between 1k rpm and 2k rpm. has anyone had this before or know what it is ?

sensor or just a low battery ?

he tested the battery and he put in 400, results came in at 200, it reads replace
battery. could it be any sensors playing up or do i need to reset anything ?

thanks, 1st time it has let me down after 7years of ownership from new and with 110k miles ! even the rac man was surprised to see a honda not starting !

thanks

Hi mate

Long time no see, I thought you were selling the CTR ?
Anyhow, back to the question,

If you have changed the battery then the ecu needs to learn the car again.
Best thing to do is go out for a drive with it etc after you done the ecu lean procedure so ecu learns engine again.
It will settle down after about 30-50 miles. Thats the first thing i'd try , otherwise it's likely to be the idle control valve getting dirty if you have not used car for a while So it may need a clean.

ECU Lean procedure below :

To complete the idle learn procedure, do this:

1. Makes ure all electricali tems (audio,rear
defogger,lights,e tc.,)are off.

2. Start the engine, and hold it at 3,000 rpm with no
load{ n neutrual) until the radiator fan comes on.

3. Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the
throttle fully closed.

4. Take out for a test drive varying speed etc.

If that fails then you need to clean the idle control valve.

Instructions on how to clean idle control valve in this post below :

http://www.type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34807&highlight=idle+control+valve

HTH

Any probs give me a call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate

Long time no see, I thought you were selling the CTR ?
Anyhow, back to the question,

If you have changed the battery then the ecu needs to learn the car again.
Best thing to do is go out for a drive with it etc after you done the ecu lean procedure so ecu learns engine again.
It will settle down after about 30-50 miles. Thats the first thing i'd try , otherwise it's likely to be the idle control valve getting dirty if you have not used car for a while So it may need a clean.

throttle fully closed.

If that fails then you need to clean the idle control valve.

Instructions on how to clean idle control valve in this post below :

http://www.type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34807&highlight=idle+control+valve

HTH

Any probs give me a call.

hi nosman,

yes long time no see, hope you are enjoying the festive season !

will i took your advice, skipped 1,2,3 and did 4 for a short drive with
some vtec-king :lol: and it's not hunting anymore !! thank you :)

i do have instructions to clean the idle control now so may do it
in the summer if it does play up, but so far so good. :D

happy new year and hope to see you again soon.

My DC5 quite often idles a 2K when I start it up on cold mornings for a minute or so.

throttle fully closed.

Should i have done this for when i put my AEM V1 on?

Sorry to jump in here.

To get the best out of the AEM V1 then it is recommended yes.
Any mod to the intake system or fuel system then you should perform the ECU lean procedure.

Hope this helps
Jason

Damn, didn't know that. Can you do this from starting the engine or do you let it warm up? How long do you hold it at 3k RPM? I know you say until the fans kick in but how long's that?

The engine needs to be warm before performing the ecu lean so I would recommend a good old drive to get up to temp etc.
Then perform the ecu lean procedure.

Hold at 3k unil fan comes in ( a couple of mins in this weather. ) hence why you need to warm up the engine first.

Yes it's normal , don't panic ( I should of mentioned that , soz! ).
It will go off when you move the vechile. ( steering will feel stiff for about 3-5 sec then go back to normal if the eps light is on. )

Is it normal for your EPS light to come on during the lean procedure?

That's nothing to do with this procedure. It happens when the car has been running for a while without being driven and the EPS isn't seeing any steering movement, it thinks there is a fault. Perfectly normal.

should i be doing this too ?

i mean the car is running fine now after a drive without having
to do the lean procedure ?

Think I have same issue here. Went to start car on Sunday and wouldn't turn over. Lights come on and all lights on dash light up, but car wont start and hazzards flash on and off. Definitely think it may be the battery. Used it on Friday but all was ok, although started up a bit slower. Got AA coming out today to check battery so hopefully it will just be the battery (having heard of a fusebox issue i'm hoping its not this!). Thanks for the lean procedure, as I may have to do this.

Back