• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Help - gears crunching and/or resisting when at high revs...

Hi,

Just a quick one to see if anyone knows of this. My CTR is a 53 facelift with 77k on the clock.

When driving normally, it goes through the gears fine, changing at about 4k is no problem. However the clutch pedal is very heavy, and the bite is on the floor, i can drive it no problem, my mrs not so!

But anyway, when giving it full beans it resists going into gear, worst when changing 1st>2nd and 2nd>3rd. It wont take a fast change, you can get round the problem by taking it out of gear, allowing it to rest in the middle, then putting it in gear, but it doesnt like being thrown straight in. Most of the time it just resists then with a bit of a tug, will go in, sometimes it crunches.

My question is obviously, whats the problem? Clutch? Or gear box? Iv had the car checked out at the garage near me, and they're not sure, iv told them to take it out and give it some to test it, which they have, and whilst they say it could be the clutch, they're not sure, so are telling me rather than spend X amount on a new clutch, to leave it and see if it develops. Which is what I'll do but just wondering if any of you guys could shed any light on the subject?

Like i say the pedal is VERY hard, and low down bite, (very different to my mates 53 CTR which is very soft in comparison) however, the clutch has never slipped at all.

Help!

You need the clutch changed, classic symptoms :smt023

Thats what i thought mate, but like i said, the garage aint sure?

Anyway i can confirm this prior to spending about £400?! Maybe more! Dont mind spending the money to get it right, but id be pretty annoyed if i did it and it didnt cure it!

Thanks for the quick reply :)

I bloody hope your right mate, cos its not gonna be cheap............think i will probably take your advice though, researched in other places, and it seems to be the common consensus (sp!).

I had this on my black CTR and it was the clutch at fault :D

77k miles is a good innings for a clutch :smt023

Thats exactly what's happening with my S2000 at the moment going into 3rd, Dotty said exactly the same thing to me on the weekend...it sounds like he's been through a few and has experience too!!

I'm gonna leave mine for a bit and just shift slower into 3rd til the spring when the weather is better and I'm more prone to hooning around :lol:

what kinda mileage (obviously on average) could you expect the clutch to start giving way lads? curious

mine's only just done 37k so could be anything depending on how the car is driven. I blame a previous lady owner who quite clearly used to ride the clutch :lol:

I bloody hope your right mate, cos its not gonna be cheap............think i will probably take your advice though, researched in other places, and it seems to be the common consensus (sp!).

I can vouch for Dotty here.
Same symptoms on my EP3 about 55k miles earlier in the year. Clutch changed - hey presto, good as new.

If it didn't fix the sluggish/grinding gear changes i think we'd all be pretty shocked.

Its good that your clutch isn't slipping means its not completely shagged yet, do it asap though, otherwise you might need a new flywheel. That'll shove the cost up considerably.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back