• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

HELP!! HID little black box thing dodgy connection

Hi people,

ive got HID's installed by the previous owner of the car, the little connector (not sure what you call it) has the little black and red cables with the flat metal ends that plug in from the bulb and i think the others are coming from the ballast, nearly every night i have to jiggle the wires round to eventually get the light on which can take a while of flickering and standing in the rain... starting to get annoying! anyone know a quick fix or where i can get hold of a new small black box fuse thingy?

im not good with any other electricals apart from stereos and fuses haha

Cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
atm_add_a_fuse.jpg
similar to this box

That's a fuse tap to get power. You shouldn't need that for a HID kit.

so what could i do to replace it mate? its on both sides and im guessing it came with the kit but not sure

The kit should be powered from the old bulb connectors. What you have just plain shouldn't be there.

At a guess it's a kit that shouldn't fit that's been botch fitted to the car.

My guess is the kit wasn't installed properly and was blowing bulbs/ballasts so they decided to stick the fuse tap in it. IMO that's a massive fire hazard waiting to happen. An electrical system is only as strong as it's weakest element. If they've done what I think they've done, it's only a matter of time before something goes up. I'd rip it out and reconnect the standard lights.

oh great, lol cheers for the info, the ballasts are hidden in the side panel too just to make it more awkward :lol:

Are you sure it is an aftermarket part that the black and red wires from the bulb are plugged into and not just the existing plug that fits onto a standard H1 bulb?

That pic you posted does look a bit like the standard plug on an EP3 and it sounds like you have a loose connection. Personally i would take a small flathead screwdriver and (with the headlights switched off) squeeze the connections in the plug closer together so they grip onto the spade connectors better.

do you know what? i was thinking that the other day and thinking how embarrassing it would be if it was the standard bulb plug, so i checked it out and yes.... it in fact is :lol: as you can tell ive never dealt with HID's haha cheers for the solution, never thought of that, the spades are so loose! i'll give it a go and see what i can do tonight, thank you

Back