• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Help needed not even the AA knows whats wrong

Hi, I've just had my civic type r ep3 on the blyton park track and for the most of the morning it as been running fine.

When we got to 12 o'clock i took it back out, i noticed a lack of power and the engine managment light had come on the car was still driving fine but i had no V tek. I drove the car back to the pits with no noises or smoke

i turned it off to cool it down and then tried starting it again but it would not start and the engine managment light was still on, not knowing what to do i thought if i disconnect the battery for abit it may reset the ecu so i did this. When i connected the battery the engine managment light had gone off but it still would not start. The AA come and it did not show any faults on there computer at all, he tried a few things but he could not get it going. the car trys to start but never does

I had to get towed home and im still not sure whats wrong with it. I've been told its either the camshaft sensor(s) or the chain whats slipped and bent a rod.

As anybody had this problem or know whats wrong.

Many thanks Lee

Streched chain is a common problem lately with EP3s. Being on a trackday did you keep a very close eye on the oil? and even overfill slightly if you dont have a baffled sump.

I don't think it's getting fuel. My mates change the sensors with him car and it still did the same. He tried towing it and he got it running. He said its the chain what's slipped so it looks like I new a new chain not a cheap fix. Anyone no a good place to get one from?

If you are going to do anymore trackdays I would seriously consider investing in a baffled sump.

Yes I think that's sensible. I'll look into it before our next track day. Are they all the same and do you no anywhere good to get them from?

Yes I think that's sensible. I'll look into it before our next track day. Are they all the same and do you no anywhere good to get them from?

I had mine fitted a long time ago, TGM did them on an exchange basis around £100 at the time.

Just out of curiosity would it be worth upgrading the chain and tensioner to Toda?? Are they better than the oem chain and tensioner?

To be honest I don't know much about them so hopefully someone else will let us know. If they are better I can't see why not?

Unless you have a highly tuned, high compression engine, there's no point in spending the extra on a toda item.

Back