• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Help needed

I tired starting car last night and it wouldn't start. thought it might be out of petrol though the engine wasn't turning over and all lights went out when i turned key for ignition. i've not started car for a week now and played a cd for abit yesterday, so im assuming it would be the battery. would it be best waiting until it dries out, using bump cables or jump starting. any advice would be helpful

chris

My Honda battery has a little clear cover that is green inside when it is ok...if it goes black, its flat. Having said that mine has sat for over a week and still started before. Still you never know.

Sounds to me like the battery is low on charge and when you tried to start it it doesn't have the power to start the engine but it will power your lights and cd player. like has been said above get it jumoed of or remove the battery and get it charged.

Rob

If it has been completely discharged, it will have sustained damage and should be replaced. The first cold snaps always claim a few batteries if they are weak. Just the way it goes.

i got jump leads on it and got it going straight away, ran it for a good half hour or so. started last few days and seemed ok

Storry said:
i got jump leads on it and got it going straight away, ran it for a good half hour or so. started last few days and seemed ok

You may be lucky mate, but if well flattened it will be damaged and will fall on its hoop come the minus figures. Good luck anyway.

I left my "reading" lights on for a few days once. :D Couldn't even use the fob to unlock the car. :lol: Jump started it with another car.

This was quite a few months ago now and the battery is still holding out ok.

i have never heard of a battery getting damaged throught being fully discharged. Only if and when the cells dry out of de-ionised water.

Actually, the problem with the alarm/immobiliser disarm is that it blinks ALL FOUR indicators. That's particularly annoying because it takes A LOT of charge just doing that. I spent 20 minutes trying to jump start the car but it just wouldn't start. In the end, I disarmed the immobiliser, count to 30 and then start the car (before the immobiliser kicks in again).

VtecRob said:
i have never heard of a battery getting damaged throught being fully discharged. Only if and when the cells dry out of de-ionised water.

Cell damage occurs when the battery is held below end point voltage - cell capapcity is then reduced. Trust me, it is a part of my job and has been for feckin yonks :lol:

more boring info on the subject...

http://www.bigginhill.co.uk/batteries.htm

Back