• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Help on servicing

Hi Guys,

After my visit to Bassetts Honda Swansea today, I have a question. My 2005 Type R is just about to turn 33,000 and was last serviced 27,000 (although the stamp is on the 37,500miles part??) but had one of those pre check things with the MOT in April where the car was on 30,500 when I bought it. Now, I went in today to enquire about servicing and was told it needed the 50,000 service and was going to be "a big one"?!

Now as you can see from the mileage I've done is tiny compared to some, but I'd like to know do you think this is right and is it work the £300 plus parts if needed.

I have a local garage that has done all my cars for the past 10 years, so I'd rather take it to him and would put more trust in him than the Honda local dealer. However, is this going to make any difference and will it ruin my resale value when I come to sell the car (which isn't going to be for a long time!).

My local garage probably will charge about £150 and the money I save will get me a new front right headlight, that is currently full of condensation.

The service schedule is not only based on mileage but also the age of the car. Which ever one comes first. If you look at you service book, it will say 50,000 miles or 4 years, which is accurate as you've got a 2005 EP3.

The service schedule on the EP3 tends to alternate between big service and little service, with the biggest being at 75k or 7 Years as this is when the Iridium spark plugs require changing.

£300 sounds about right to me from a Honda dealer. What you need to ask yourself is whether you pay the extra from a Honda dealer and get the service it should (in most cases) with a Honda stamp in your book, or do you go with a cheaper garage who will do a basic service but might not cover everything that is recommended by Honda.

IIRC, Honda also do a safety check when they service the cars and advise you if they think anything will need replacing.

Thanks Jermal. I'm still a bit wary as I used to work for the local Ford garage and saw some horrific stuff that go on behind the cutomer's backs. Stuff like cars falling off lifts due to careless mechanics and body damage happening on site where you will have to rush the car down to accident & repair to get sprayed up without the customer having a clue what's going on. I've also seen many a time where a garage will use your car to break the sound barrier and even though the Type R is meant to goes all the way to 9000rpm, I wouldn't like anyone abusing my car. Not good, and unfortunately this is a reality. You may say this is an extreme circumstance, however my father used to work at a local VW garage and I saw some of these things happen also. I think I may try the service this once as its a big one, but probably will go back to my local garage in the future.

Thanks for your help with understanding the intervals also. Makes perfect sense now!

I brought my ctr recently and took it to honda for valve adjustment as the last 3 services were done by a independent garage so was pretty likely that they would of overlooked the vital valve check and adjustment. I must say i was really impressed with them and the prices as would never of dreamed about going to a main dealer but i dont think id take the ctr anywhere else for servicing now..

I'm perfectly happy with the service provided by my Honda dealer..... probably jinxed myself now as mine in for it's 25k service next Saturday... :lol:

Thanks guys. Think I may take car to my local garage as I've heard some bad feedback about the Honda garage in this area. I've had a look at the service schedule and it points out exactly what needs doing on my 48mth service and things like valve clearance are mentioned so he will see this and check it accordingly, plus I'll give him the service book and he will know exactly what he has to check. I'll probably do what I've always done and get the parts for him and he can fit and service it.

Question though. Any ideas if a Type R needs a software update as thats the only thing he may not have access to.

Cheers as always!

Back