• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Help with exhaust and mid pipe

Hello,
This is my first post after a bit of lurking.
Managed to bag myself an CTR EP3 for my first car having just passed my driving recently :)

A mate of mine who happens to be a mechanic advised me to change the oil so I bought some Millers 5w-40. When the car was on the ramp he showed me some bad corrosion where the backbox meets the mid pipe/b-pipe. He reckons it may need replacing within a few months.

Do aftermarket b-pipes give you a bit more noise or grunt? If I just changed the b-pipe and kept the stock backbox will it make it deeper or just louder?
I like the look of the stock twin exhaust but I'm thinking I may as well buy a 2nd hand cat back system which will give me a b-pipe and backbox but how can I tell which exhaust will emit a deep/low frequency sound?
It's hard to tell by Youtube videos. I don't want a high pitched/scooter/wasp type sounding noise, I want a low rumble type roar similar to the subaru impreza type sound if I've described that accurately.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

It depends on the bore of the b-pipe and whether it is silenced. An un-silenced 2.5 inch pipe will give it a nice throaty sound.

It depends on the bore of the b-pipe and whether it is silenced. An un-silenced 2.5 inch pipe will give it a nice throaty sound.

Thank you so much. I spoke to the guys at pro-flo exhausts in Bradford and he said the system will be too loud and unbearable if I choose to have it unsilenced. He was recommending not one but two silencers (one at the front and one at back with a 4" backbox ?

Hi,
If you find you have any issues with your insurance for this then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Hello,

It's hard to tell by Youtube videos. I don't want a high pitched/scooter/wasp type sounding noise, I want a low rumble type roar similar to the subaru impreza type sound if I've described that accurately.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

If you want a deep rumble type sound, you will definitely want to change the back box, just changing the b pipe will give you more of a raspy tone.

If you want a deep rumble type sound, you will definitely want to change the back box, just changing the b pipe will give you more of a raspy tone.
Okay thanks a bundle for the support.
The guy at pro flo told me changing the b pipe alone would give me a deeper tone. Guess he lied then?
Right now I'm just not in a position (financially) to cough up around £360 on a cat back so I thought changing the B pipe alone would solve the corrosion problem and also change the sound a tad for less than half the price.on another note: my petrol seems very expensive giving me around 250 miles on a full tank!!! Is this normal? How could I spot any leaks in the exhaust especially further up towards the manifold?

With regards to the petrol mileage, yes that's about average. I just use mine as a weekend car ano get between 210-230 per tank. And I ALWAYS use shell v-power never anything else unless needs must. I also have an unsilenced b pipe and it is raspy especially around 3000revs. Sounds awesome, it's not deep what so ever so don't know what proflo is on about mate.

Hello again,
Just an update:
I bagged myself a DC Sports Catback exhaust system off ebay and have to say it was in pretty damn good condition. The seller did state it was on the car for well less than a year so not surprised. After a bit of autosol polish on the backbox, its literally as new with a mirror chrome finish.
The sound is fantastic now, exactly as I was hoping. It is deep with a nice rumble, not overly loud but still loud enough to hear a street away.
The only time the sound changes to higher pitched is when in vtech but that was expected.
So yeah I'm a really happy bunny with my new DC sports catback system. :)

Back