• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CH1 Help!

Hi folks

I'm having some grief with my back brakes. I got home early, so i could change the pads, but i can't for the life of me work out how to get the piston back into the caliper. It should wind back in to the handbrake mech, but it don't wanna know. It'll be dark in 2 hours Arrghh!!!!!

Marge

DO you have calipper wind back tool?

most pistons have to pushed and screwed at the same time.

Ah. No i don't. The ones on my Teg had big slots in the piston face, and could be wound back in with a large screwdriver. I had a feeling there might be a special tool needed. I'll have to improvise, or it's off to the Stealers with a red face. Will let you know how it goes. Any more info would be most appreciated.

Marge

Halfords stock caliper wind back tool mate, think they are about £20 and they are open till 8

If not try with G clamp and screwdriver

All done. Easy when you've got the right tool. Was a panic for a while, but just off to bed 'em in.

Marge

marge602 said:
All done. Easy when you've got the right tool. Was a panic for a while, but just off to bed 'em in.

Marge

So did they wind, push or both fella? (need to ask as I'll probably be doing mine all round soon)
Cheers
Stu

You'll be needing a caliper wind back tool. Having spent some time working in a Renault main stealer workshop i'd used one of these but never bought one. The rear caliper pistons on my Teg could be wound back with a screwdriver or some grips, but with the ATR i wound and wound and nothing happened. The tool that saved me cost £20 from Halfrauds and is made by Laser. Take it from me, go and buy it before you even jack it up. It'll save you a lot of anguish.

Marge

Cheers fella,

I see you not that far away from me. If you ever fancy a run out, I head over to North London 1 weds night per month for a bit of a gathering and rag with some of the TR.org boys.
let me know if you fancy flying teh ATR flag with me :)
Stu.

Back