• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hesitation, stutter

Id been noticing some slight stuttering and a slight miss under approx 1/4 throttle when accelerating and changing up through the gears. It's been getting worse recently to the point it's doing my head in a bit. I had the throttle body off for a clean tonight and noticed a nut missing so there was only 3 out of the 4 fixings holding it on. I thought boom! Unmetered air entering the engine that would do it. Cleaned it and put it back properly and still the same. Since owning I've checked and adjusted valve clearances, replaced timing chain and plugs (amongst other things) and to the best of my knowledge now up to date on maintanance.

Now worryingly I've searched the Internet up and down and it seems a common complaint, yet that said no definitive cause. I'm pretty sure it's not like that from the factory and apart from the spoon exhaust it's stock. I'm going to set up the tps sensor next, and of that doesn't fix it possibly a map sensor?

I'm keen to hear of anyone has got, had this fault, and have you gotten to the bottom of it?

I'll update as I try things. Unfortunately it's dampening my enjoyment of this otherwise awesome little motor.

Ps I plugged it in and there is no fault codes.

Tia!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes ep3. No throttle cable has been adjusted and made do diff. Don't thinks there's an internal potentiometer on the pedal on mine either.

Sounds possibly like a TPS issue if it's only at a certain throttle position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes prob just around 1/4 on any gear most noticed 1st 2nd 3rd 4th

Got the car in the workshop and managed to borrow the use of a snap-on solus (nice bit of kit) tps was reading 0.31 closed and not too far off 4.50 fully open. I adjusted it to read 0.51 Which is as close as it would go and it now reads over 4.50 at wot. Quick drive and it appears to have improved. I'll see what it's like on the drive home.

Well it seems the tps is the main culprit for this apparently common problem. So much smoother now.

Hi, I had trouble with the TPS and you can't buy a Honda one without the throttle body, so bought a KTuned hall-effect TPS - bitch to set up but once done the throttle response is now quick & smooth... maybe something to think about?

ps not cheap either but quality isn't expensive it's priceless ha ha :)

Hi yes I've seen the k tuned ones. If this one gives me trouble I'll be investing in one :)

Ok so bit of an update. Cars running well, prob best it's ever ran - however, cold start is now 2200rpm a good 400 rpm up on before tps adjustment lol. What's the Norm cold start Rpms on these? 2200 seems a little excessive. Thinking of upgrading to a ktuned and being done with it. Does anyone know if you need a Kpro to set it up?

I had the same problem and fitted this and it fixed it...

http://k-tuned.3dcartstores.com/Idle...-Kit_p_33.html

It's a cold air assist valve. If you took the manifold off, you'd see the air would enter from the pipe into a cavity on the cylinder head. There's very small pin holes above the injectors where the air would then be drawn in. As the coolant warms up, it closes this valve but gets lazy and takes ages to close.
It's not really needed. It helps with emissions on cold start up.

crowds

Blocked off the air assist valve today and sorted the cold running excessive fast idle out so have ordered a delete kit for that. I've also plumped for an acuity hall tps sensor for piece of mind. Fair bit cheaper than the ktuned and very good reviews.

Quick update. I eventually got a Acuity hall effect and calibration harness and fitted this yesterday. I also refitted the original airbox complete with hondata mod and K&n filter. I removed the typhoon as didn't notice any benifits and tbh with the spoon exhaust it's prefered the noise of just this, as both sounded a bit chavvy. Anyway. It's never ran this good. I reset the ecu and let it relearn also. Great throttle response very smooth and fluid. Definately recommended these tps over stock type for £80 much better value than ktuned. Will be sticking with original airbox now too.

Back