• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hesitation when cold.

Hello, my Civic is a 2002 ep3 model. When the engine is fully cold, if I accelerate then it hesitates. Once the engine is warm then this problem totally disappears. I noticed it first a few months back, but as the weather was warmer then the problem wasn't too bad, it was just a mild hesitation on startup. But now it's winter it seems to be worse, I struggled to get up to speed the other day.

It only happens when the car has been stood for a while(at least a few hours) and is totally cold. The engine management light came on a few weeks back and when I read the code it said "crank position sensor". Could it be a faulty sensor? Or is this indicative of something more serious? The fact that the temperature affects the problem suggested something electronic to me, but I'm not a mechanic so wouldn't know for sure.

I wanted to check on here first for suggestions before I started replacing stuff. Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

I would expect a possibility of slight hesitation when fully cold until the engine starts reaching operating temperature, depending on how hard you accelerate. I would have said nothing to worry about if you didn't have the engine light on, but that obviously needs investigating.

Well it's become more than just a slight hesitation now, I struggled to get it out of 1st gear the other day. The management light came on, but went out later on in the day.

could be faulty sensor, as all problems occur at xmas (as i'm finding out :mad:). get the chain/belt checked as well to rule that out

I've put it on a code reader, the only thing that came up now is an o2 sensor. So it might be fairly simple! The strange thing is that the car has been fine for the past few days, it literally only does it when it's not been run for a couple of days.

Not yet, I've ordered an o2 sensor which should arrive soon. Hopefully that's the problem. I find it strange that it only does it when the car has been stood for a couple of days.

The reason I ask is mine has an ever so slight hesitation, doens't seem to be just when cold though. It doesn't splutter or anything, no warning lights illuminated on the dash, just a slight flat spot from low revs in traffic, normally from 2nd gear. Still goes ok and hits VTEC without issue, so i'm thinking it could be a sensor or something.

My mileage is pretty high (104K), don't think chain or tensioner has been changed. Why would this need to be looked at? I read while searching for a resolution that the ECU would correct it if there was a fault with the timing and you wouldn't notice it. It's not that bad, but I have noticed it, especially in traffic. It almost feels 'less immediate' than it should. I did change the exhaust (replacement OEM) a while back and noticed some exposed wire on one of the oxygen sensors, so I taped it to protect (each exposed core individually) and it was driving perfectly for the last month, but it's possible it could be this. However, just wanted to rule out any other possible issues before chucking money at it.

Any advice? Thanks.

Lewis - those exposed wires are normal on the O2 sensor. I think the tape you put on will just melt, as those sensors get extremely hot.

I read in another forum post that Honda recommend changing the chain at 100k, so that could be the problem. If it's slack I'd imagine that there would be a slight hesitation as you accelerate, but I'm no mechanic so wouldn't know for sure.

Lewis - those exposed wires are normal on the O2 sensor. I think the tape you put on will just melt, as those sensors get extremely hot.

I read in another forum post that Honda recommend changing the chain at 100k, so that could be the problem. If it's slack I'd imagine that there would be a slight hesitation as you accelerate, but I'm no mechanic so wouldn't know for sure.

I could actually see exposed cores though, surely that's not normal?

What sort of money is the chain replacement?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well my o2 sensor looked somethings like this: http://www.tegiwaimports.com/genuine-honda-primary-o2-oxygen-sensor-civic-type-r-fn2-3092/

I don't know about the chain, I'd imagine the labour would cost more than the part. I need to get mine done soon, but it seems to be running fine now I've replaced the sensor

Ah so you have just replaced the sensor? And it fixed it. I think I may try that as mine defo had some slight damage to the wiring which is possibly why it's driving differently but the issue has only just presented itself. Is yours an ep3? Thanks again dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it seems to be running ok now. I had the sensor error code though, so I guess it was correct. Yeah mine's an ep3.

Ok thanks. Mine doesn't have any warning lights which may mean it's not the O2 sensor. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back