• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hi all im new to the forum.. Need some help already please...

Hi all...my names Riz... Ive been a member on this forum for a while but never got round to posting here!

im not fully sure how it works here with posting in the right places etc... So apologies in advance if i make mistakes...

ive had my Type r 2003 now for around 3 years now and absoloutly love it...
My first ever Honda and i dont regret te choice at all!

First problem since ive owned this car occured earlier tonight.... I was driving a bit hard... In Vtec 3rd gear and hit full revs...as i slowed down the speedo needle waved about for a sec then just dropped and the engine management light came on!
the car felt a little rough and as approaching the next set of red lights it cut out... It started up fine but the speedo needles not working and the engine lights still on....
Any help as to what it could be would be very much appreciated... Thanks in advance...

Sounds like the vehicle speed sensor, it's a sensor that connects on the gearbox. The EML will more than likely be on because the ECU can't read the speed but I'd get it read anyway to a sure.

Thanks alot for your reply.. I will have it looked at forst thing tomorrow morning... Could it be something serious?

Ive read on some posts about removing fuse six for a reset... Would that be worth trying?

Sounds like the vehicle speed sensor, it's a sensor that connects on the gearbox. The EML will more than likely be on because the ECU can't read the speed but I'd get it read anyway to a sure.

Whilst driving on the motorway earlier this morning ... The eps light came on for a bit and then went off again... Everything else seems to be working as usual vtec engages car sounds normal etc...
Just the engine light is still on and the speed and trip is not showing... They occasionally flick on then of go off again

If VTEC is still engaging then it's not the Vehicle Speed Sensor. VTEC won't work if the ECU can't read the speed.

I'd get the code read as soon as you can.

If VTEC is still engaging then it's not the Vehicle Speed Sensor. VTEC won't work if the ECU can't read the speed.

Thanks again for your reply.. Sorry for my delay in replying.. Ill Need to wait till tomorrow morning to get the computer on it...
My brother took the car out today... The engine management light went off whilst driving down the carriageway but came on again soon after as he parked up at home... The speedo needle is still not working but intermittently bounces up occasinally...
The car seems to be fine otherwise...

hi... Hope your all well...
Just an update on the issue i was having regarding the speedometer and engine check light....

The day after the problems occured the engine light had gone out and didnt come back on... However the speedo was still not workin and bouncing all over the place... Due to this it caused steering to stiffen up randomly and make turning into bends or avoiding pot-holes really awkward!

it turns out the fault was indeed the vss as mentioned by Loxy... I had bought a used one as soon as i found out it was the cause and booked the car in for a full service also...

After changing the gearbox oil the mechanic tried to remove the sensor and realised it was loose!? So with a bit of pressure he pushed it back in and told me to get in the car and start it up and go through a couple gears to see if it all was working as it should... And the speedo was fully sorted!!

I dont understand how it could have been loose though? The last i had any wok done on the car was around 6 months ago when i had the clutch replaced! Shocking stuff....
But anyways the cars all sorted now... Steering feels fine again and the speedo works too... Gear changes are an absoloute dream now since the new oil!

thanks for the help on here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back