• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hi-Spec 4 Pot kit for OEM ep3?

As above. I am still exploring front brake options. I don't really want to modify the car but if I am changing brakes I want to get good ones, and if I upgrade want 4 pots at least. Has anyone got the hi-spec four pits on an ep3? I had them on my saxo eyes ago and found them good. I have ap brakes on my Rallye but don't want to spend £2k for brakes in a car worth £4k! Also looked at stoptec but don't like red calipers too in your face. Also they are a lot more expensive than hi-spec. Can get a kit for just over £1k from hi-spec!

Also has to fit under OEM wheels as I am not changing those.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there

I would go down the route of the D2 6pots with 330mm and PF Z-rated pads,we are running D2 330mm with PF Z-Rated pads and this combo is awesome for day to day driving and too for track days,have run similar setup on the wagon which has run in excess 555.5bhp

Agree about the AP,they're great and probably best kit on the market there

Thanks,Jura

Ive had D2 8 pots, with 330mm disks, and managed to warp them. Swapped them over for 4 pot Spoon monoblocks, Brembo 300mm discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads, and they were miles better then the D2's.

You can use the Spoons with OEM discs too and they fit sweetly under OEM wheels with a 5mm spacer.

Thanks Rash.

Still surprised that no one has the hi-spec brakes...they are pretty common in other marques!

Where can you buy the spoon mini blocks from?

I think eightspeed sell them or if not there's that burn motorsport who have registered as traders on ctro

Cheers pal.

So with regards to the spacers that's required, is it a spacer to move the wheel out from the caliper, or a spacer to move the disc to sit centrally within the pad? Also spoon calipers use S2000 pads right?

You need the 5mm spacer just so the wheels clear the caliper, they are a little wider than OEM. My Spoons used standard sized pads for the Civic.

Thanks Tom. Not sure if I asked but where did you get yours from? (Sorry have several threads of this nature on the go!) ta. Also with the spacer is there still room for the wheel to sit on the edge of the hub or is it purely resting on the studs? Reason I ask is moving the wheel further out obviously puts it ever so slightly off centre if it's not locating on the hub properly, therefore increasing wear on the wheel bearings.

Ive had D2 8 pots, with 330mm disks, and managed to warp them. Swapped them over for 4 pot Spoon monoblocks, Brembo 300mm discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads, and they were miles better then the D2's.

You can use the Spoons with OEM discs too and they fit sweetly under OEM wheels with a 5mm spacer.

Hi there

I'm bit surprised you are wrapped D2 discs,I've run similar discs(K-Sport) on our wagon and we are tracked our wagon and we are never have any issues with discs,pads that's different story,we are went via few of them
Spoon monoblock,bit expensive choice,when for this price you can have 2nd hand AP 4 pots

Thanks,Jura

Are D2 a bit Micky Mouse compared to AP/BBK/Hi-Spec?

To be honest the ap brakes on my Rallye I had to send back one caliper as it was leaking, although they pressure tested it and it was apparently fine. Recent issue I've had is fluid coming from the bleed nipples. They're tight as fook too but didn't want to over-tighten them. They were over 1700 so not hugely impressed. Had no issues whatsoever on the hi-specs on my saxo. And they were second hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a chap on ctro on about selling his stoptech touring kit, might be worth a pm. batfink76 is his username

Are D2 a bit Micky Mouse compared to AP/BBK/Hi-Spec?

To be honest the ap brakes on my Rallye I had to send back one caliper as it was leaking, although they pressure tested it and it was apparently fine. Recent issue I've had is fluid coming from the bleed nipples. They're tight as fook too but didn't want to over-tighten them. They were over 1700 so not hugely impressed. Had no issues whatsoever on the hi-specs on my saxo. And they were second hand.

Hi Lewis

Please have look on this thread

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...-kit-fitment&p=1235193&viewfull=1#post1235193

I've posted there reply about the D2,AP and K-Sport,but here is reply what I've posted

Here is quote of guy(John Felstead) who tested all of them

Here is quote of guy(John Felstead) who tested all of them

With regards to the K sports, you may have 8 pots, but the surface area of those 8 pots is almost identical to the WRX 4 pot and less than OEM Brembo's. The K sports have two small leading pistons working on the area of the pad that provides the main performance of the pad, which will give less bite from the pad than the larger leading 4 pot piston. You will get a better performance from a 6 pot caliper with properly stepped differential pistons. The equivalent D2 6 pot caliper has larger piston surface area and a larger leading piston than the 8 pot K sport, so gives better initial bite and more brake force for the same pedal pressure.

AP 6 pots have better differential piston sizing than both the K sport and D2, with 3 piston sizes in use to ensure the pressure on the pad is well matched to the requirement to provide less taper wear and give a better match to the required pressure increase as you move away from the leading edge of the pad, which is where all the work occurs. The D2 6 pot has 2 small and 4 large pistons per caliper, so the pressure required is less well distributed than the AP, but not too far away, the K sport has 4 small and 4 large pistons per caliper, which gives a less even pressure match across the pad length. This means the AP will give the better brake feel and modulation, with the D2 6 pot next, the K sport a bit further away.

With regards to piston surface area, pad surface and the total brake torque resulting from that, on a 330mm disk the D2 6 pot gives the most total brake torque, K sport next and then the AP 6 pot last. None of these give as much brake torque as a Brembo OEM caliper on a stock newage disk. Even a 356mm AP 6 pot kit gives less brake torque than an OEM Brembo setup. Where the AP, D2 and K sport win is in handling the elevated temperatures seen on track.

There are differences throughout the Subaru range with regards to the master cylinder bore size, and also pedal ratio, this will also influence the amount of force required at the pedal to give the required brake force. So a brake kit on a classic will work differently on a Newage STi, Newage WRX or Legacy. And we haven't touched on brake balance matching for the rears, or the way the ABS system will work when you change that balance.

AP always will be best and every brakes are compared to Brembo or AP

Older D2 8pots they're not bad,but if budget will allow I would go with D2 6pots which are improved over K-Sport or D2 8pots as per above post

But main difference they're (K-Sport,AP) not using dust seals as on Brembo or AP,leaking caliper I've not seen and we are run K-Sport on our wagon like in front and rear,brakes are in general great,with right pads we are loved them,with poor brake pads you will suffer

You can buy AP for under £1700,as AP using same mounting points and usually what you will need to make are brackets,I've seen in US EP3 or RSX AP brackets for good price with bells and discs,but this depends on brake caliper which you are want to use,usually on those race spec AP dust seals are need to be replaced much sooner than on road spec brake calipers as you have this issue on yours

Hope this help

Thanks,Jura

Thanks Jura that's most helpful :)

I have a pal selling a set of stoptechs with the two piece discs so may just buy those. He is saying they need a 3mm spacer to fit behind oem wheels is this correct? Also do they work with the vehicle abs system still? Thanks.

mine are 2 piece 328mm, no spacer is needed but there is only like a 2mm gap that's why alot of people like to run 3mm spacers for extra clearance. I did start using a spacer in the end but like I say they do go on. That pic on pg 1 is with no spacer. Also thy work fine with the abs ect.

Ok thanks dude. I wonder even when they're hot whether they'd expand by 2mm so wonder about the spacer but I guess it's best to fit one to be safe!

Back